Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 2:06:35 PM EDT
I just thought I would ask the experts on a revovler a friend showed me a while back it was a colt in .32 long colt and was called a "special army" or "special police" its been a while since I shot it and it was a pretty nice wheel gun, just thought I should ask you guys if you have ever seen one or heard of one and if they have any value?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The only Colt with a simular name was the Colt Army Special.  Sometime in the 1920's this was renamed as the Colt Official Police.  This is basically the same frame gun as the Colt Python.
In those days it was known as the "41" frame, then the "E" frame, then after WWII it was named the "I" frame, which is the current Python frame designation.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be the army special I will have to check it out again how is that cartridge why a .32??
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It might be the army special I will have to check it out again how is that cartridge why a .32??

As I understand it, they wanted a caliber that had a bit less recoil than the .45s. Sort of an "office carry" gun, if you will. S&W also made several calibers in .32

There's still factory ammo made for most .32s BUT be sure to have the gun properly checked out by a good gunsmith to ensure safety before shooting it.

Value is probably in the $150-200 range.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
when I shot it i remember that it was a light recoiling gun and also a nice shooter I am suprised it isn't worth more being so old but then again guns don't really increase in value that much.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry, I may have not been clear.  The Colt Army Special was NEVER a government issue firearm.  That was just Colt's name for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top