Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 6:49:25 AM EDT
I watched "Ronin" last night with Robert Deniro. Half way thru the movie he takes a round in the side & says "dirty bastard, coats his bullets with Teflon so they'll pass thru bullet proof vests". Now I have no interest in bullets that will pass thru vests but just out of curiosity, what would coating bullets with Teflon accomplish, if anything? I have a bottle of "Terefrawn" Teflon spray. Would it improve accuracy at all on match bullets? Would the Teflon coating burn off in the barrel? Would this work in anyway like plastic coated SLAP bullets?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
dont know if you missed out on current ammunition laws or not, but last i heard teflon coated bullets (ie 'cop killers') are illegal...

if you really want something that will go through a kevlar vest, just pick yourself up an ar15...
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
dont know if you missed out on current ammunition laws or not, but last i heard teflon coated bullets (ie 'cop killers') are illegal...

if you really want something that will go through a kevlar vest, just pick yourself up an ar15...

Well you didn't read my post very well did you. I said I have no interest in that aspect of it. I'm simply curious about the technical aspects.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I watched "Ronin" last night with Robert Deniro. Half way thru the movie he takes a round in the side & says "dirty bastard, coats his bullets with Teflon so they'll pass thru bullet proof vests". Now I have no interest in bullets that will pass thru vests but just out of curiosity, what would coating bullets with Teflon accomplish, if anything? I have a bottle of "Terefrawn" Teflon spray. Would it improve accuracy at all on match bullets? Would the Teflon coating burn off in the barrel? Would this work in anyway like plastic coated SLAP bullets?

Unless the jacket material is ‘impregnated’, the material will be of no value.

Teflon will not give a bullet any ‘magical’ powers of penetration.
If I remember right, the “Cop killer Bullets” bullets were Phosphor bronze coated with Teflon. The Teflon to act as a lubricant for the barrel, and the Phosphor bronze to act as the penetrator. I could be wrong, though on the Bronze.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that's good info. I know lots of bullet manufacturers like Hornady are putting out Moly coated match bullets with a sort of blue plastic coating. Was curious if teflon was similar but I had a hunch the material would just burn up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Penetration of body armor depends much on a combination of sectional density, velocity, and projectile hardness(resistance to deformation)..

Coating a normal( Lead core, cupro nickle, or gilding metal alloy jacket) bullet with teflon will reduce it's friction within the bore(thus giving it a bit more velocity) but it will not in itself allow it to penetrate kevlar any more efficiently..(the lead will still happily mushroom against the kevlar, teflon coated, or not..)

Using something like a steel or hard nonferrous alloy is one method that can allow a handgun projectile to penetrate body armor.. These tend to be lighter than lead, hence more velocity from an equivalent powder charge can be gained. Also being harder, it can be formed to have a shape that readily spreads the weave of the fabric, while resisting impact deformation..

The modifyer of adding a low friction coating (Teflon, Nylon, etc) to one of these light fast bullets is more to reduce bore wear, or galling of the alloy to the barrel..

Meplat-

Link Posted: 6/20/2002 8:13:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The "cop killer" bullet myth is over 20 years old now, thanks to media hype, antigun liars and Hollyweird for keeping the myth alive. Here's the truth about teflon coated, aka "cop killer" bullets.

www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvcopk.html

Knowledge is power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top