Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2002 7:21:21 AM EDT
I know this has been done to death already. I have a HK91 clone. It works just fine, shoots straighter than I do, eats whatever I feed it, et cetera. But it just feels odd to me ergonomically, like all the controls are in the wrong places. My AR15 is like butter, and comes naturally to me. So I'm wondering... would a FAL be a better option for me? I've never shot one, and wouldn't want to sell my HK91 if I'm trading one set of awkwardness for another. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Tough question since you've already got the HK91. When I saw just the thread title a few things immediately sprung to mind:

1) HK91 flutes and scores brass, making it harder to clean up for reloading.
2) HK91 mags are considerably more expensive than FAL mags.
3) Less recoil to the gas-operated FAL than the recoil-operated HK91.

I think it's a matter of what you're used to. Certainly, the AR15 controls are easy to reach with your firing hand without moving it from the pistol grip, but I have no trouble with the FAL controls either. Maybe you just need more trigger time behind your HK? That said, if the AR controls feel right to you, but you want a .308, the AR10 may be the one for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 FALs now and counting. If you get a custom FAL it handles very closly to the M-16. The custom touches I am referring to are:
16.75" bbl.
Izzy wood set
Inch selector
With these mods it weighs less than my AR-15A2 and is about the same length as my CAR-15. The controls with the L1A1 selector are just as easy to operate as the M-16 and with the short bbl it will launch a 147 gr. pill at ~2600 fps. Most of advantages of the A-2 plus one hell of a puch with the 7.62 Nato round!
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry but G3 mags cost no more than FAL mags, some places they are even cheaper.I'm really a big fan of the G3 and I used to hate the FAL because alot of people act is if it is the "HOLY GRAIL". After spending some time behind my "IzzyBel" FAL the G3 just sits in the safe nowadays.The FAL feels better to me in the shoulder,ergonomics are better for me, it has a bolt hold open.That is very important to me.All in all they are both good rifles and still don't think the FAL is the "HOLY GRAIL" that many claim it is. I'd say keep your G3 clone and add a FAL to your collection.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Ghostface: You're finding factory HK91 mags NIW for $10?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a load of NIW steel ones from Interordnance a few months back for $8 each.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
if you like me, for some reason. the 91 just dont fit, but the FAL fits me nicely
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have both, and prefer my FAL G1.  Less expensive, good accesories, gas operated, low recoil,  etc.  as previously mentioned.  Parts are cheaper, too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#8]
What's a reasonable asking price on a HK91 clone, moderate condition (looks ugly, shoots well), with FA aluminum reciever, and say, six or seven CETME mags?

Is $550-$650 reasonable?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think he's talking about CETME mags and yes they are under $10.  If its a clone, most likely they'll take the CETME mag.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, the ones I got were both HK factory and Rheinmetall G3 magazines.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought  like new from Coles  for $10 and like Quietshooter new for $8 from InterOrd.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he's talking about CETME mags and yes they are under $10.  If its a clone, most likely they'll take the CETME mag.

I bought about 20 mags from AIMSurplus last year for $8 a piece.  Brand new, steel, still in wrapper, G3 mags.  NOT CETME's.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Good deal. I certainly hadn't seen any that low at gunshows around here, although I have to admit that I haven't really been looking for them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I too have seen real HK mags for around $10 each. I picked up 10 aluminum waffle mags with 1960's date codes still in the wrap off the hk91 board last year for $12 each. There have been a lot imported, and I think a lot of guys at shows are still under the delusion that they are worth more then they are. The market is more flooded with them then we think though.

-FS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top