Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 5:49:23 PM EDT
A buddy of mine shot my Bushy XM15 E2S this past weekend.

He was impressed and wants to get into the world of Ar's, problem is he don't want to fork over 7 bones for another gun.

Any ideas of a cheaper Ar? I am relatively new to the scene myself and have only owned an Ar for about a month.

Who makes a decent priced, reasonably well made AR? "The Mossberg of Ar's?"
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of members have NIB Dpms for around 6 bones.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Rock River makes decent copy of AR's.  For a low price and good value rifle, I would suggest giving RRA a try.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
The low dollar winner would be the Oly Arms Plinker model.

Uses cast A1 upper and cast lower. Rough but functional.

Your dealer should be able to sell one around $525 or so.

They also sell an assemble your own kit which would sell for around $550 the advantage here is it has the forged upper/lower over the cast.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Rock River makes decent copy of AR's.  For a low price and good value rifle, I would suggest giving RRA a try.

They dropped the ball big time of the 'Hero Rifles'.  Don't give them a penny.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I like RRA...
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Where the hell is the Rock River.  I cannot find it on a map.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The Rock River is a river in Illinois.  It runs into the Mississippi near the Quad Cities on the border of Illinois/Iowa.  I don't know if there is a town called Rock River or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Try here QCMGR.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It's out of it's banks, and surrounding my cabin.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#12]
RRA is in Cleveland, IL
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll tell you all about my RRA when I get it on Monday.

The company was started by 2 brothers who broke away from Armalite in Genesro, Il. All their guns come with NM triggers. All their uppers come with bolts, charging handles and carriers.

Like I said, after I give her a go Monday night, I'll tell you all about it!

mug
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have any personal experience with RRA but am interested myself. Before I purchase one ,however, I'd make sure what ever you buy is 100% Mil-Spec. This way you are assured that the quality is there. Nothing would disappoint me more than to buy a POS weapon no matter how inexpensive it is. If it seems like too good a deal, it probably is.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#15]
chaos4570,

I am a dealer for Rock River (DPMS, BUSHMASTER, Etc) I can assure you the quality of RRA is top notch. I worked exclusively with Chuck and Mark when they were at Eagle Arms/Armalite there knowledge and attention to detail is first rate.
I have the luxury of hand picking the rifles I build from their inventory, this entails measuring on our CMM, standard inspection equipment and Spectro-chemical analyzer. The truth is that it looks good, shoots excellent and I put our name on it because I have never had reason to believe otherwise. I put a no questions asked 30 day return policy on our products because of this attention to detail.
As far as the comment on the Hero rifles, you are hearing half the story.....
Robert
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
chaos4570,

I am a dealer for Rock River (DPMS, BUSHMASTER, Etc) I can assure you the quality of RRA is top notch. I worked exclusively with Chuck and Mark when they were at Eagle Arms/Armalite there knowledge and attention to detail is first rate.
I have the luxury of hand picking the rifles I build from their inventory, this entails measuring on our CMM, standard inspection equipment and Spectro-chemical analyzer. The truth is that it looks good, shoots excellent and I put our name on it because I have never had reason to believe otherwise. I put a no questions asked 30 day return policy on our products because of this attention to detail.
Robert

I've always enjoyed a good story, what is your take on the other half of that story???

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 6:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Robert

Yes, as has already been asked by ColtShorty, let's hear the rest of the story!  So, the admin of this board is to blame, not RRA?  Is that your story?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Let's not anticipate...   Let's hear the "Rest of the Story"...   I've got an open mind...
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
While I always propose going directly to the source I can pass on what I was told. Mark  (RRA) explained that an agreement was reached and a purchase order never arrived. (Did I see it? NO… did you? Probably not) I don’t feel I have enough detail to adequately defend any happenings on the Hero rifle. I do know the owners of RRA and their character. Their compassion towards anyone involved in the tragedy is immense; their ability to work within the industry is first rate. Their attitude towards dealers and customers in my opinion (for what little it may be worth) has been exceptional. They have been open to be used for a source of information on the AR and 1911’s
I understand brand loyalty; I understand the anger involved in the mere mention that the great Hero’s of our board involved in 9-11 were slighted. I too would be inflamed at a company that would put profit above the spirit of the dedication. I know that this is not the case, I know Mark and Chuck, we have been associated for over 10 years when they were at Eagle making decisions that can be seen in the exceptional quality of the Armalite today. Again I do not have the details, hence my suggestion to get the other ½ of the story.
I can’t change your opinion in a short paragraph, I can’t show you someone’s character in a sentence, I offer you to go down to Cleveland Illinois and sit down to the always open door of RRA and get the take on the situation yourself.
Robert

Link Posted: 6/19/2002 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Very well said Robert.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
So what would be the going rate of an A2 type Rock River 16 inch Carbine? (Fixed type regular stock). I see these at the Ft. Worth gunshow every time I go, but never have actually walked up to the table to look at them/check out pricing? Should be considerably less than on the website?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#22]
RRA AR "kits" are selling at extremely low price locally.  If I had the time (and skill), I'd seriously consider building a RRA A2. ZT
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So what would be the going rate of an A2 type Rock River 16 inch Carbine? (Fixed type regular stock). I see these at the Ft. Worth gunshow every time I go, but never have actually walked up to the table to look at them/check out pricing? Should be considerably less than on the website?

$750.00 shipped to you, 1:9 twist Chrome moly
Robert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top