Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2002 7:10:00 AM EDT
Well, my M1 is needing a new barrel, or at least one in better condition than the one I've got on it now.  I plan on getting the barrel, then sending my barreled receiver to Orion 7 to be mounted, indexed and headspaced correctly.

I'm STILL waiting for match paperwork so I can qualify for the CMP.  Yes, you DO have to be qualified even to order just PARTS.  BUMMER.  They have SA 'match' rifles for $100.  That price is RIGHT.

I need to know if there's anywhere else I can look for a decent (read, not a Kreiger, or other $500 bbl) bbl for around that price.  I could go up to about $150.  Don't mind if it's used, as long as the bore, crown/muzzle and throat are in decent condition.   Any suggestions?

Oh, and I want to keep it in .30-06 to be JCG match legal.  I'll get another M1 and rebarrel to 7.62 sometime in the future.  
TIA
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked "Fulton Armoury" under Information/Links?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Fulton has a "Barrel, Very good, from Danish G.I. Garands, Cal..30-'06"  for $104... but it doesn't say if it's VAR or Berda or Beretta... I'll whip them an email real quick.  

Edited to say:
Just emailed Fulton Armory and got a reply within 10 minutes!  The reply was that most of them are VAR, but some are other.  The 'select' ones are more frequently VAR than the regular grade ones.  I think I found my source... unless anyone has any other/better suggestions!

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you must have U.S.G.I, you can't go wrong with a Danish VAR barrel. I had one on a mixmaster M-1 and it was an excellent shooter. Just the ticket for a JCG match.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Usually outfits like Orion and Fulton will charge MORE to install the barrel you provide than if you bought the barrel from them and had it installed , So check out thier prices first. Also to be JCG match legal the barrel must be 30:06 and GI contour, no med or heavy match barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I went ahead and ordered the Danish 'select' grade bbl.  Only $112 shipped.  Per Walt at Fulton, they're usually VAR.  Perfectly fine for JCG.  I'll definitely report here when I get it.

Mine is what would be considered now a SA 'rack grade' Mostly SA parts that are not quite 'correct', an SA bbl that is about 8 months older than the receiver.  The only non SA part is the IHC op rod.  

:)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Usually outfits like Orion and Fulton will charge MORE to install the barrel you provide than if you bought the barrel from them and had it installed , So check out thier prices first. Also to be JCG match legal the barrel must be 30:06 and GI contour, no med or heavy match barrels.

Orion 7 is $49 if you provide the barreled receiver and new bbl.  Probably plus shipping, but that won't cost much.  :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, Glenn Nelson is   a gunsmith in Georgia that puts barrels on M1's and M1a's For around  $200.  This price was for a new Douglas heavy barrel. He's done 3 m1a's for me. Each one would shoot extremely well. I don't know about the current price, but you will be satisfied with his work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top