Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 6:02:03 PM EDT
So I got a M4 type SP1 this weekend. It is used but seems in pretty good condition. I wanted a used one instead of a NIB cause it was a lot cheaper and I want to shoot it, not store it in the closet.

Well I took it shooting today and got a few FTEs. I got these on both Thermold and aluminum magazines. I noticed that the casing was still stuck in there and the next round was on the way up the feed ramp. This leads me to believe that the extractor isn't quite working. Any other thoughts on this or experience with this problem?

P.S., I really like this small rifle. The telescopic stock is much more usable than I had anticipated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got an upper that does that only with SA ammo. The suggestions that I received were that I should check for a rough chamber.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd try one of those D-fender rings that increase your extractor tension.  I had a Bushie upper that had that problem, and the D-fender cured it completely.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
What brand is the upper receiver and barrel? Sounds like someone may have skimped by with a lesser quality off brand upper receiver assembly or barrel assembly. My all-Colt M4 runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]

posted by Boomer
What brand is the upper receiver and barrel? Sounds like someone may have skimped by with a lesser quality off brand upper receiver assembly or barrel assembly. My all-Colt M4 runs flawlessly.

I'm not too sure how to figure out what brand the upper is. I have an Armalite carbine with an identical bolt assembly. I plan on trying that bolt assembly next. I'd try the whole upper but the front pin hole has a different diameter (smaller) on the upper.

I'm not above getting a new upper if that's what it takes. I kind of want to eventually anyway. The lower and stock look to be in very good condition.

Hey Sparky315, thanks. When I try the Armalite bolt assembly I should find out if it is an extractor problem. I hope so anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#5]

If It Isn't A Colt, It's Just A Copy
Hey man, what's this all about. I thought everything was just a copy of an Armalite, since they invented and developed the darn thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top