Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 1:33:24 PM EDT
Wasn't supposed to be mind you so it surprised the crap out me.

I had just installed a Jewel trigger this weekend. I thought I had it adjusted OK so today I went to the range.

First round I touched off emptied 5  rounds in the blink of an eye!

I had the second stage sear engagement all wrong it turned out. Finally got it right.

Properly adjusted its nice trigger.

I feel much better now, and so does the RSO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Any M16 parts hanging out in your receiver?  If not, then not a machine gun issue, but a malfunction.  But scary to have a runaway gun.  Glad you handled it safely.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#2]
ECS:
Sounds like you got a real thrill!
I'd pay to see a picture of your eyes bugging out when you pulled that trigger!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a trigger mod.
Load one.
Fire one.
Load two.
Fire two.
Load two.
Fire two.
Everthing OK then load and go.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My semi auto M-14 clone tripled on me once because of a bad fitting stock. I was very surprised by the cyclic rate of fire it was capable of.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
A number of years ago, when SKS's were to be had at 79.00, a good friend of mine got one. He arrived at my in-laws,(we shoot there often,) and proceeded to load up the rifle for it's first firing. We were taken completely by suprise when after one squeeze of the trigger, it emptied the entire 10 rounds. Thankfully, we had a substantial backstop (big hill) because the rifle spit the last couple of rounds far up the hill. The look on his face was a mix of terror and shock. Upon stripping the gun and examining the trigger group, we found it to be well worn-out. A new trigger group cured it. Got to admit, it was the first time that we had ever been around a full-auto firing, as the state of ILL. does not allow us to possess class three weapons.We consider ourselves lucky that there was no harm to anyone. It was kinda neat though.......lessons of youth I guess.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
i once had a friends 1911 go FA on me. man that was scary.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Read my post from last night on another thread. I don't know how to paste the URL here (help). Do a search for.... please explain negligent discharges......

It is a good story the army guys will appreciate. It scared the hell out of me but the situation was so ridiculous that it was funny as hell. Just glad no one got hurt!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#9]
  Ouch!!!!  Good thing I didn't put my idea for a crazy gun down. You would have had flashbacks.

Belt-Fed Full Auto 12 ga. Shotgun Device. Of course it would need two very secure grips to hang on to.......

Edited to say  THANKS!!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
your just luck the atf wasn't hanging around you could be in trouble
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear you got everything working.

I have never fired full auto, nor have I seen it in action.

In Army ROTC, instead of firing "real" ammo out of the M16s during FTX, they loaded the .22 conversion and only let us fire semi-auto .22s!!! (JAM JAM JAM JAM, CLICK, JAM JAM, CLICK) really sucked cus we were all hoping to use the real thing.

I can't wait til the TX fun-in-the-sun shoot in two weeks (assuming I will have time to go). I hope someone brings an FA.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Only the .22 conversion eh?  Thats more than I was able to do with an actual M-16, but when I was in ROTC a couple of years ago(didn't go all the way through because I switched schools); I remember coming into class one day and there was an M-16A2 on every desk in class, as well as an M-60 machine gun on the teachers desk, and some kind of already-used rocket launcher.  We learned to field strip the M-16 and reassemble.  Later they had FTX (which I unfortunately missed) where everyone got to fire the M-16 rifle and M-60 machine gun, limited rounds of course, dont remember how many each.  They were also planning to do some war games with blanks were the junior guys were supposed to ambush the senior guys during day and night raids.  The Master Sergeant also said we would likely get a ride in a Blackhawk helicopter.  This is all peanuts to some of you here, but I was 17 (now 21) at the time and thougt it was pretty neat.  I'm not sure how all this played out, as I couldn't go because of a test (The FTX was early Friday morning until late Sunday, had a test Friday afternoon).  Wish I got a chance to do some of that stuff.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Any M16 parts hanging out in your receiver?  If not, then not a machine gun issue, but a malfunction.  But scary to have a runaway gun.  Glad you handled it safely.

No M16 parts in this rifle, its strickly post ban. Just a trigger malfunction. I was stupid to load more than 1 round at at time until I checked out the new trigger.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a standard 18" barrel Galil that would either shoot one, two, or three rounds per trigger pull...interesting, but probably unsafe in some way...took it back to the store and the replacement was an unusual model: 16" barrel, and the bayonet lug mounted so that the bayo went on upside-down on top of the barrel...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top