Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 10:13:00 PM EDT
I took a friend of mine up shooting for the first time, and some brass from my brother's FAL and another friend's G3 hit his truck.  He says these dents weren't there before, and I'm inclined to believe him, but still, do those guns usually eject with that much force?  I highlighted the dents in this picture:

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
im an expert in neither weapon, but i say not no, but hell no. maybe they could ding paint. brass at any speed wouldnt do that. that looks more like someone smacked it with a lead pipe.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the empties ejected from my SR9 (related to the G3) are still in a low earth orbit.  They eject with tremendous force, but those dents look too severe even for a G3 -- especially the one near the bed rail.  That curved surface would require quite a whack for that kind of dent.  Not even the mighty G3 has that kind of ejection power.

I've hit my truck with a Bobcat bucket and had a rolling power gate close on it.  Neither made that much of a dent.  Nice highlighting job, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
After thinking about it more, the one up front looks more like a golfball-size impact.  A .308 shell impact would either be broadside (damage very unlikely) or on-end (energy concentrated at a point).  If it did have enough power to dent, I would think there'd at least be a well-defined paint chip missing.  Then again, I'm just looking at a picture.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I added a red arrow to what appears to be another dent.  I would have to that a rifle ejecting a spent casing would NOT cause a dent like this.  The area were the bed side starts to curve is very strong (as mentioned) and would take a very strong blow to cause this.  

I have shot my .223 AR, 9mm AR, and Remington 742 30/06 and had them all spit brass on my truck including the bed side.  I know that the firearms you are talking about eject with more force, but I do not think it could cause this type of damage. Especially to the strong area of the bedside.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It is pretty flat where the dent actually is, though there is some curve too it.  The dents look pretty bad in the picture, there is no discoloration to them it just looks like someone pressed the metal in with their thumb (if someone were strong enough to do that).

What you have the red arrow pointed to is a "the handlebars of a bike were hanging over the side and vibrating against the truck while driving down the freeway" scratch.  Same with below that where the fender flare starts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:  

I have shot my .223 AR, 9mm AR, and Remington 742 30/06 and had them all spit brass on my truck including the bed side.

Agreed... I've used my '92 F150 4x4 as a 'brass catcher' for years and I've never seen a mark that couldn't be waxed right off let alone cause that type of damage and I've had spent brass from a FAL or two bounce off my head a time or three (which could explain a few things )  It looks more like your friend was using his truck as a yardage marker at a golf driving range...

edited for typo
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:23:00 AM EDT
[#7]
the dents look more lyke they were caused by a 105mm casing hit it..............!

no .22 or .30 caliber brass wud do that tell the guy he is so full of shytte & is a major league liar !!!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Being that I repair damaged automobiles as a source of living I think that it gives me a certain amount of experience. I think someone is yanking your chain on this one, I don't think even if the rifle was sitting right next to it when it went off it wouldn't cause that kind of damage.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:03:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Musta been a Barret 50. cal
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I shoot highpower. I've been hit by flying .223 brass coming from no more than 6 feet. I hardly felt it. Been hit a few times by .308 brass from an M1A also. I felt it but it did not bruise me. If what ever hit that truck hit my body I'd have a BIG bruise.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 5:35:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got dents from brass on my truck..They're mainly from .50 Browning casings, and nowhere near that big, nor symmetrical..

That looks like a whiskey dent..
Meplat-
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 6:03:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
im an expert in neither weapon, but i say not no, but hell no. maybe they could ding paint. brass at any speed wouldnt do that. that looks more like someone smacked it with a lead pipe.

Bzzzz.. My HK91 dented the shit out of my VW's left-rear fender from about 30 feet away.  I was shooting and it sounded like this - BOOM..clink  BOOM..clink  so I was finally like 'what the hell is that?' then I saw the shiny new dents in my shiny new car.  SHIT!

QS

Edited to add - should have looked at the pics before opening my yap.  My G3 dents weren't nearly as bad as that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
A G3 could have caused that...

If you threw the rifle at it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I just went outside and fired several different cases at an old truck with a VERY powerfull slingshot.It barely chipped the paint!

I then used a 3/8" steel ball that I know will punch through 1/2 plywood.

Still not even close to that kind of damage.

Someone is looking for some free body work!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#15]
No way...Ive had three HK 91s and current SR9 they will throw brass a long way...I have used my old truck as a brass catcher as well...never saw any dents as bad as those from brass being ejected...like the man said..
If you threw a 91 at it...maybe...lol
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Where was the truck in relation to the shooters? My G3S throws brass at 1:00---30-40 ft. My FAL's do 3:00 to 5:00---5-20 ft. To be sure have shooter stand by truck and let brass hit it and see if it dents it. (a few more dents won't hurt ) He didn't claim bumper damage due to brass, did he ?

PS---Those don't look like brass dents...!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Did he hit the truck with the spend cartridges or a box full of ammo - or the rifle in a butt stroke maybe?

I've chipped the paint of my old car with an FAL - just little tiny half moons of tiny paint chips.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
A brass case hitting your truck would chip the paint before it dented the metal.

Those are NOT hits from cartridge cases!
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
To answer any questions about distance, it was from my truck to the Green Chevy.

So 6-8ft
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 11:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually, and to add to this discussion, I've sat in the back of my Sonoma and dinged the hell out of the bed.  With the same HK91 Capro mentioned above.  Either I was blessed with a gun that flings shells like a steamy pile of crap, or I'm crazy Could be both.

I can attach a pic later.  Though, I was only 1ft away from the inside wall of the bed.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#22]
No way in hell that spent brass could have made those dents. It takes hail of at least "quarter size" to dent a vehicle and a quarter size hailstone would have much more mass and velocity and the dent still wouldn't be that big.

I've shot all kinds of rifles off of the hood of my Mustang and even shooting from the driver side all of the brass that has hit the windshield has just bounced off, even with my father-in-laws FAL. No scratches, chips or anything.

Possibly if it hit on the casemouth I could see a very small paint chip but there isn't near enough force to make dents like that. Even footballs just bounce off of cars with no damage, can't say the same for golf balls though.

Either he didn't notice the dents until after yall finished shooting and wrongfully assumed it was the brass or he's trying to scam your ass.

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Two points:

On my short range on some mountain property, I use out of date (EMPTY!) propane tanks for targets.  At 25 yards, the dents from 9mm and .45 hits are about that size and depth.  No spent brass could do that (Have also been hit many times by FAL and Hakim brass, no damage to me).

One off-the-wall possbility if we consider all alternatives....if you were shooting at a gong or other metal target, there is some possibility they could be ricochets.  I would doubt it, but it could happen with steel targets.  

FWIW

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Where area do you shoot ? Looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not sure what the exit number is, but it's on the south side of I-90 at the fire training academy exit.  It's the first time I've been there though, usually I go up to exit 47.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just went outside and fired several different cases at an old truck with a VERY powerfull slingshot.It barely chipped the paint!

I then used a 3/8" steel ball that I know will punch through 1/2 plywood.

Still not even close to that kind of damage.

Someone is looking for some free body work!

Yeehah!

Where else can you go for answers to diverse questions backed up with testing!?!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
no way...   I've seen 38 snubs do less damage at 20 yards...   Unless the pickup is made from recycled beer cans...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:31:32 PM EDT
[#28]
If you took the barrel of the rifle, banged it as hard as you could against the truck multple times, then maybe its possible.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I dunno about dents, but I did crack a Honda windshield once with ejection from an HK93, by firing the rifle inside the car.

Had no idea it would do that.  Dooooh!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#30]
....this just *Begs* the question:

Why on EARTH were you firing an HK93 inside of a car?!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
drive by?
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Ooooo you guys busted me.

Hey don't knock it till ya tried it.  But it is a bit hard on the glass . . .
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

One off-the-wall possbility if we consider all alternatives....if you were shooting at a gong or other metal target, there is some possibility they could be ricochets.  I would doubt it, but it could happen with steel targets.  

FWIW

I agree with that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Regarding 007's question it is exit 38 on I-90, after you get off (from eastbound) follow the road past the national park until you see a forrest service road on the right (9020 i think) then follow the road up past iron horse state park and there is a road that goes off to the right (there is a shot up toyota by the side) follow the road until it comes to a gate, open the gate then about 2 mi past that.

Regarding the dents, not sure myself, the G3 wasn't shooting the brass very far (the ones that didn't him my truck) definatly not the 40 feet described by some other members however the gun was only shot from abou 5-6 feet away.  Also there were two shells next to my truck inline with the dents which lead me to the assumption they were from the G3.  You can't tell by the picture but there is a chip in the dent by the cab.  Finally the side of my truck, to me, seems softer then the sides of most trucks, this could have contributed to the unusually large dents
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Tell him to quit whinning and get a full size Chevy.  They don't dent.  Fords dent if you stand too close and break wind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top