Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2002 6:46:26 AM EDT
Made you look.

A friend of mine has inherited a plain jane Remington 700, in .270 with a serviceable 3 x 9 scope... Tasco I think. Anyhow. He's inclined towards pimping it up for SHTF because:

a) It's SHTF
b) It's fun to modify your guns

So... he's on a pretty harsh budget. Can you guys think of anything that might be worth investing in to make it a monster tack-driver on the cheap? No stupid bells and whistles, just stuff that might be worth having?

Or is he just better off saving his sparse $$$ and getting a second gun, a semi-auto like an SKS or some such, because the vanilla 700 is just fine?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Trade it on a similar model in .308. Much more ammo around at reasonable prices. If he does not want to do that, glass bed, trigger and maybe recrown if needed.

Have him clean it good and thoroughly, check that all screws on rifle and mounts are tight...this alone can improve accuracy with some used guns.

If he does his part, this plain-jane will do just fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I gotta agree that 270 would not be my choice for SHTF due to cost and accessability..  Go 308 or 223 or even 762x39..   You have a better chance of picking them off an enemy...
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I agree, but one of the rubs is that he is not allowed to sell the rifle. Grandpa's gun, or some such.

Personally, I have .308 for that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh, I agree, but one of the rubs is that he is not allowed to sell the rifle.

Then how about re-barrel it with a nice stainless barrel in .308 AND go for a decent set of optics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh, I agree, but one of the rubs is that he is not allowed to sell the rifle.

Then how about re-barrel it with a nice stainless barrel in .308 AND go for a decent set of optics.

Make a long action .308? I guess ya could do it......
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top