Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2002 4:35:18 AM EDT
I recently bought a DPMS S.S. bull barrel and have a question on cleaning. I was reading in "The Complete AR-15 Owner's Guide" that "s.s. barrels require special consideration as copper solvents attract free ions of copper into the solution. Unfortunately these solvents will also remove copper ions from the s.s. alloy of the bore as well. The result is a Swiss cheese effect that will quickly roughen a s.s. bore. Therefore, use copper solvents seldom, and then briefly when cleaning s.s. barrels".

I have been using Pro-Shot lead and powder bore cleaner on my other AR's, as well as Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber. Any recommendations of what and what not to use ?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
On my 24" Stainless barreled AR I use Sweets 7.62, flush w/ SuperTech 2000 (Walmart carb-cleaner) and lube w/ BreakFree CLP. Seems to work weel for me, YMMV.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I've never read of any differences in cleaning SS barrels versus carbon steel. As it is I use mineral spirits when cleaning my barrels now.  My .o2
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just use the Birchwood Casey.  Let it soak for 15 minute at a time after brushing to get the copper out.  I find that a brush allows more solvent to be put in the bore then a patch.

Patch out and Soak bore as needed.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top