Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 2:34:22 PM EDT
Question about the SAR-1 rifles that AIM has for sale right now:

If I get one with the crooked front sight or gas block, will the reliability in any way be suspect? I want to get an AK and mount a red dot sight on it since my eyes are shit. This would only be used for shooting and cans, jugs, militant islamics, and other garbage out to 150 yards. Do these rifles fit the bill? If I get one with the crooked parts, how hard will it be to fix?

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

If I get one with the crooked front sight or gas block, will the reliability in any way be suspect? I want to get an AK and mount a red dot sight on it since my eyes are shit. This would only be used for shooting and cans, jugs, militant islamics, and other garbage out to 150 yards. Do these rifles fit the bill? If I get one with the crooked parts, how hard will it be to fix?

You can go to the AR15.com AK forums for "How To" on correcting canted sights:

ak.ar15.com/

CampyBob can answer any AK question for you.

I, until 2 weeks ago, had an SAR-1. Great AK!
I used a BSA Red Dot on it, worked fine.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can go to the AR15.com AK forums for "How To" on correcting canted sights:

ak.ar15.com/

CampyBob can answer any AK question for you.

I, until 2 weeks ago, had an SAR-1. Great AK!
I used a BSA Red Dot on it, worked fine.

Thanks man. Did you do the paint job yourself? Is that an SAR1?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Crooked sights aren't much of a problem but be aware that they sometimes press the barrel in crooked too and that can't be fixed easily . If you get one thats a little out of spec heres a link that might help you out .

www.angelfire.com/ak5/rpkman
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks man. Did you do the paint job yourself? Is that an SAR1?

Not me, stocks were done by www.nouglyguns.com
Yes, it's a Romanian SAR-1. I swapped the wood stocks for those East German synthetic stocks in gray & black tiger stripe finish.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
After more than 1500 rounds through it with no failures or stoppages, I can recommend the AIM SAR-1s.

It's no target gun, but for plinking it should be great.  SAR-1 = Low cost of ownership

Here's mine after a furniture refinishing job:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top