Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2002 9:28:22 AM EDT
Its an Eagle pre-ban with 20" upper and 2 stocks, one retractable and one standard a2 stock.  "Good" condition for $700.

My FFL just called and told me about it 5 minutes ago since a friend of his is selling it.  I figure the upper is probably worn out, but I want to make an m4gery out of it anyway.  How much will it cost if I have to have the lower refinished?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, seems like a good deal to me, IF it is a pre-ban.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd already be writing out the check.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to run the serial number before I buy to make sure it is in fact pre-ban.

I'll call the guy when he gets off work to find out when I can look it over.

Anybody have any experience with Eagle, are they good guns or what?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Eagle makes great lowers.  Their pre-ban lowers rank right up there with the best.

You will not find pre-ban Eagle lowers going for less than $600.00, and thats considered a steal...let alone a complete pre-ban rifle.

Your receiver should be marked:
Eagle Arms
Coal Valley, IL

According to the Armalite website...if the serial number is less than 30000, the lower was manufactured prior to the ban, but you will still need authentication from the owner that he assembled it into a complete rifle before the ban took effect.  If it was sold as a complete rifle, Armalite can furnish you with a letter of authenticity.

I would jump on it regardless of what the "finish" looks like (if its a pre-ban).

DPMS can re-anodize and coat with black teflon for $55.00.  I had this done to one of my eagles and it came back looking new.

You have to be careful of refinishing offered by others because they have to sandblast the surface in order to apply their "new and improved" finish.  Just ask them...An example would be gunkote, bearcoat, etc...  What this means is that the anodizing is removed and the new finish is applied over the degreased bare metal.  Remember anodizing is what gives strength to the aluminum receiver.  These new finishes may be "hard" and "durable", but its not as hard as anodizing.

Yes, DPMS has to sandblast the old anodizing off (but at least they are putting it back on).  I did not loose any tolerances on my lower.  It fit just as tight, if not a little tighter when I got it back.  Plus, I had the peace of mind knowing it was still anodized to spec and looking new.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be running out the door,talking to my FFL dealer on my cell phone,while driving to my ATM to pick up the cash to pay for it!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just make sure it's not an E.A.

Essential Arms.
Model J-15

All too often i see Essential Arms rifles for sale as eagle arms.

Even if it is an EA J-15, $700 for complete preban is still a smokin deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top