Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 9:31:14 PM EDT
I am looking for a reasonably low cost scope for my ar15.  I am talking about $125 or so.  I don't want anything big and bulky, but something along the lines of a tactical style.  Maybe good enough for 200 yards.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
don't mention Leapers......!!

or you will get Bar-B-Q'd.............
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Your living in a fantasy world.  Save your money and buy something decent.  Otherwise, your just throwing your $125 away.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok, how much should I spend and what should I get?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
You may want to check out Millett scopes, they probably are in your or so range.  

www.millettsights.com/buck.htm
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:02:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Jake,
   Is this a flat-top AR or will it be going on a carry handle.  Also, how much magnification do you want?   Many people here shoot beyond 200 with just a red dot site or irons.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about that, I have an A2 upper, so I would need to do something to add it to the handle.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Do yourself a favor and get a cheap red dot scope before you sink any serious cash into nicer scopes.  A BSA cost around 30-40 and is fine for what most people actually use scopes for on an A2.  Hey, if you want something better you're only out $30.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#8]
i would go with an arms mount for your base.
it's an expensive mount but you will not have to worry about it moving zero or coming loose.
my rifle has a 3-9X40mm leupold vari-x iii.
it works great for me as i can see the irons thru the hole in the mount and engage with the scope from 25 yds to infinity.  just about any desent scope should work for your aplication.  just set up the rings so the objective lens of the scope will not obscure the irons.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#9]
well Jake,

the theory here is if you spend $1,500 on a rifle you MUST spend at least a $1,000 on the scope !!!!!!! no matter what, you must put on a very expensive scope !!!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well Jake,

the theory here is if you spend $1,500 on a rifle you MUST spend at least a $1,000 on the scope !!!!!!! no matter what, you must put on a very expensive scope !!!!!

CJ; Does that mean I can't use that $20.00 special I bought at the gun show a couple of weeks ago??
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Jake,
   You never said how much magnification you wanted.  If you want a red dot sight you could try one of the BSA for cheap and see how you like it.  Otherwise, try to fine a Leopold VXII 3X9, it will be a good scope for target shooting.  I wouldn't pay less than around $200 for a scope though and stick with the big name brands that have good quality and reliabilty.  You haven't really told us what exactly your going to be doing with the rifle either plus the length so its hard to recommend something.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the best setups for a non-flat top (IMPO) AR15/M16 is the Reflex Scout Mount. (Cymore also has this setup but I try to stay away from battery powered items if possible). You stated you were shooting out to 200 yards and this setup with a 6.5 min dot should be fine, as long as you are not trying to do head shots. The forward dot design should be fast in CQB and your standard sights will still be available "just in case". This setup will also work well in low light as the Reflex will be illuminated, but not over bearing. Another benefit to the Scout mount sysytem is your muscle memory from shooting regular sights is still being used.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I like my Leapers scope. Cheap and It works just fine for hitting pop cans at 75 yards.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
$100 will get you 100 yards worth of scope.  But...
$200 will get you 500 yards worth.
The ATN 5x33L is the best darn thing you can buy for $200.  1/8 MOA adjustments, 10-level illuminated reticle, and a bullet drop compensator made for the .223 69gr round.  I can usually shoot around 1MOA with this attached and re-zeroed on my DCM rifle.

Aimdiscount.com has the cheapest prices for this scope.  However, to my last knowledge, the guy would give discounts to AR15.com members, so if you go this route....DEFINATELY mention your AR15.com status!

www.aimdiscount.com/AMT5X33L.html

Oh yes, and cough up the $35 extra bucks for the 30mm rings that come with it.  They're tailored specifically for the ATN 5x33.

P.S. - Yup, just reviewed my checkbook.  $203 bucks WITH rings...you can't beat it.
P.P.S. - Did I mention it's built like a damn tank?  Well, it's built like a damn tank.  I've dropped it 5 feet onto cement, and it just scuffed it up.  Didn't damage a thing.  Not that I suggest taking this durability test yourself, but just know that you can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 3:07:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Check out the Bushnell Elite series scope,they are a excellent scope. I have them under the B & L name plate, and the Bushnell name. Both are the same high quality scope. I have owned these scopes for years, and had zero problems. The cost for the Elite 3200 3x9x40 is around $175.00 and worth every penny.

My .02 cents

Greg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top