Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 8:51:12 PM EDT
I have just noticed that I have started to enjoy firearms more than I use to.  I have always enjoyed them, but noticed I enjoy them more now.  I have also noticed that our government, which by the way I do support, has been after our guns now more than ever.  This is obviously a direct result of some wacko citizens who are very ignorant to firearms and that laws really only hurt the law abiding people.  I figured I would get stocked up on ammo, just in case our laws change to limit or some crazy restrictions on ammo.  I have maybe 500 rounds on hand.  This includes handgun and rifle.  How much do you have and do you see any crazy laws coming.  I don't support the NRA, but I plan to soon.  Any opinions?  Thanks.  

I got a bunch of the Wolf .223 for my preban Ar and it works great.  I love the rifle too.  Man, I feel all emotional now, LOL.

And here is my baby!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any crazy laws coming IF (and thats a BIG "if") the republicans hold the house and regain the senate in the fall.  If they lose the house all bets are off, so get yourself, your family & friends registered to vote.  

As for your stockpile of 500rds - get more...like a few cases.  500rds won't cover an afternoon at the range.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
5.56 - 10,000 rnds
9mm - 3,000 rnds
38 - 1,000 rnds
.22 - 4,000 rnds
12 gauge 500 rnds
.32 - 250 rnds

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Grey15, if we get attacked by any bad guys, I am coming to visit!  LOL
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Jake75,
The more the merrier!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#5]
If you know how much ammo you have exactly you don't have enough
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
total combined amount of ammo in my possession is in the neighborhood of 100,000 rnds. that covers .22 CBs up to .50 BMG........

as someone said 500 rnds is just a good day at the range.....
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The ironic thing is that whenever the "press" find a story about gun owners involved in alleged crimes they automatically go bananas over "thousands of rounds of ammunition".  That could be as little as 1000+.  Its absurd to the non-gun owning public that you could need/want that much ammo.

But if they took the time to actually think it through they would understand.  Multiple guns equals multiple cartridges.  So right there you have a need for LOTS more ammo.  Then factor in the ability to save money by buying in bulk which also equals lots more ammo.  Then factor in not being able to pick it up at your everyday walmart (i.e. 5.45x39) and you have LOTS more ammo.  Finally factor in a regular trip to the range which equals a few hundred rounds a trip.  Now you can see why we need to have a lot on hand.

Heck I have probably close to 3000 rounds of ammo and I only have a Glock 22, SAR-2, and an STG58.  Now that I am shopping for my first AR I will have to up that amount by at least 25%.  I would have more on hand if I could afford it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't see any crazy laws coming IF (and thats a BIG "if") the republicans hold the house and regain the senate in the fall.  If they lose the house all bets are off, so get yourself, your family & friends registered to vote.  

As for your stockpile of 500rds - get more...like a few cases.  500rds won't cover an afternoon at the range.

dont count on the republicans to protect your gun right... George Bush claims to be pro gun and he opposed armed pilots despite the pilot's demand that they be armed. John McCain is republican and he's anti gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#9]
No where near enough, sad to say.
Nice AR Jake75!

Here's my preban:

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I used to be really compulsive about always knowing how much ammo I had. But with multiple guns in multiple calibers and frequent range trips and ammo purchases, I would need an automated inventory tracking system to keep a definitive count. The numbers aren't particularly high, they just change a lot.

But as a rough SWAG, I'd say I have about 2000 rnds for each rifle, 1000 rnds for each pistol, 500 for each shotgun and boatloads of rimfire.

Under normal circumstances, you probably don't need to have too much set aside. And I don't anticipate any sweeping changes in ammo purchasing laws (despite the threat of a bullet tax in the PRK). But it's nice to be able to (a) save money by buying in cases, (b) save time by not having to pick up ammo for each trip to the range, (c) be prepared just in case the S does HTF, (d) have a stock as a hedge against delivery problems to your local gun shop.

By the media's standards, I guess I'm a gun wacko. By my friends' standards, I'm a piker.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No where near enough, sad to say.
Nice AR Jake75!

Here's my preban:

s0ulzer0,

Where did you get the grip?

Jake75

I do not recomend you use the Wlof in your pre ban.

Buy South African ammo for it.
A lot of people here think wolf sucks.
I listened to them and never ran that through
any of my AR's.

I do use it in the AK's I have.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey s0ulzer0 and Jake,

Your pre-ban looks like my pre-ban!!!

As for ammo:
1000 rounds 5.56
250 rounds .45
100 rounds 00 Buck
80 rounds Federal 168gr Match .308

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Here, check this out for all your ammo questions.

www.ecis.com/~mraudio/AR15_Ammo_FAQ.htm#wolfok

Yojimbo

I like that grip better, where did you get it ?
Do you have the web site link ?

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here, check this out for all your ammo questions.

Yojimbo

I like that grip better, where did you get it ?
Do you have the web site link ?

It's an Ergo Grip.  I got it a local FUNshow for $15.  It works really well and I think it made my carbine easier to handle.

Later,

Chris
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
dont count on the republicans to protect your gun right... George Bush claims to be pro gun and he opposed armed pilots despite the pilot's demand that they be armed. John McCain is republican and he's anti gun.

And what is the alternative?  To vote for a democrat or a third party?  All that would do is allow the democrats to gain control of the house or senate so they can chair the committees and bring ANY anti-gun bill they want to a floor vote.  Certainly we have a little support from the blue dogs, but the DNC knows how to spin gun control into a winning issue for them and with pressure from the DNC, even the blue dogs will knuckle under.  There are definitely republican turncoats, but the republican party line is far more favorable to gun owners than the democrat line, and if the republicans hold control of both houses, they can keep the gun control issue and anti-gun bills bottled up in committee.  More importantly, if the republicans regain control of the senate, the senate will be able to rubber stamp Bush's conservative pics for the SCOTUS without any chance of a Borking by the democrats.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:17:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
s0ulzer0,

Where did you get the grip?

It's a Hogue - the only one they make I think.
I like them a lot. I have one on my Shorty AK Bushy as well.
I put a DuckBill on my Bushy 20" HBAR A3, but not liking it. Time to put a Hogue on it too.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I would say you need to keep atleast a 1000 of each weapon you own. But even better store up components to load your own. I keep 1000's of pieces of brass and bullets on hand while I still try to keep my stash above a 1000 per weapon, got to quit going to the range and shooting them all up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey s0ulzer0 and Jake,

Your pre-ban looks like my pre-ban!!!

Yojimbo,
your M4 grips, will they clear the ARMS #39
Bi-Level mount or are they too big?
I was thinking of getting the M4s but I am
putting a #39 mount on that rifle.....

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
s0ulzer0,

According ARMS the best setup is to use a standard carbine handguard on the top and the M4 handguard on the bottom. This is what the Military does with the M4's thet use the #39. It's also suppose to give you a better grip then using bothe M4 handguards.  It's a very good setup and forward mounting is suppose to be the optimum position for the non-magnafied red-dot or reflex sights.  I'll probably try this setup when I put enough $$ together.  I you get to try it first let me know how it works.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
s0ulzer0,

According ARMS the best setup is to use a standard carbine handguard on the top and the M4 handguard on the bottom. This is what the Military does with the M4's thet use the #39. It's also suppose to give you a better grip then using bothe M4 handguards.  It's a very good setup and forward mounting is suppose to be the optimum position for the non-magnafied red-dot or reflex sights.  I'll probably try this setup when I put enough $$ together.  I you get to try it first let me know how it works.

Cheers!

Thanks! I may try that! 1 set of M4s would do both of my ARs with the #39 mounts, save a buck or two!
I was also told by mr_wilson that the #39 works on the new Bushy "M4" oval handguards without dremel fitting.

1 thing tho, aren't the M4 handguards wider than the standard CAR? That would leave a gap or
overlap the top CAR guard using the M4 only on the bottom?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:23:17 AM EDT
[#21]
s0ulzer0,

Yes the M4 stocks are wider than the standard ones.  There will be about a 1/8" ridge on the side.  This ridge is suppose to enhance the grip and control of the carbine.  From what I've been told the boys at Ft. Bragg really like this setup.

Later!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#22]

As long has everybody's posting pictures.
Q3131A       3000 rounds
SA M1A3      3300 roounds
Federsl AE   800 rounds
Reloads      2000 rounds
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
SJSAMPLE,

what do you have on this weapon?  Is it a surefire light?  How about the optics, that is exactly the style I am looking for.  Can you add that to a A2 upper?  What and how much?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#24]
SJSAMPLE: Sweet AR!!!
Is that a laser sight on the handguard?

I want an ACOG too, but fun money is slim right now....priority is ammo stock right now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
s0ulzer0,

Yes the M4 stocks are wider than the standard ones.  There will be about a 1/8" ridge on the side.  This ridge is suppose to enhance the grip and control of the carbine.  From what I've been told the boys at Ft. Bragg really like this setup.

Later!

Thanks Again Yojimbo!! I think I'll try it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'll answer your question after you join the NRA.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you know how much ammo you have exactly you don't have enough

Exactly! I do know that I have a couple cabinets full and some more on a shelf piled up outside the cabinets.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Again, I'd have to agree with Vermilion - knew I didn't have enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top