Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 4:12:26 PM EDT
I have always wondered just how do flash suppressor work.  Why do flash suppressors suppress the flash, but muzzle brakes don't?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I was gonna ask this, I look forward to the awnser
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#2]
HMMMMM, let me see.......nope, I don't know either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only read about the Vortex flash suppressor for the M-16, which has off axis slits that set up pressure zones (like the pressure wave around a car going down the highway) when the prongs vibrate, shaping the flash into a thinner, less voluminous ball of flame.   The same article claimed that putting a brush gaurd on the end of the open prongs diminished the vibration and the effect. That's all I know...
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I found this. Basically what Ed said.

the Vortex's prongs resonate sort of like a tuning fork and create turbulence, disrupting the gases that cause flash signature. The Vortex is manufactured by Smith

Seems to me, this is the same reason why the original 3 prong M16 flashhider worked better than the current A2 birdcage, which is designed to be both a compensator and flashhider.

From my understanding, a muzzle brake/compensator only redirects the gas to decrease muzzle jump and lessen felt recoil. A flashider either disrupts the gas flow, (as in the above example) or allows it to expand (hence, lowering the pressure) before being allowed to exit fully. Its all in the design.

Thats my best guess.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
the flash hider increases the oxygen level at the muzzle,  
home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Flashsuppressor.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top