Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 4:00:52 PM EDT
Texas has to be one of the most gun friendly states right? what are the laws on Long guns are they registered like handguns or does the state not know how many you own?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Registered?   What's that?  None of my guns (hand or long) are registered by the State of Texas.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No registration in AK either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
"you can carry rifles and shotguns openly and in a safe fashion if you want.  or in your truck/cars.  no permits required for those.  pistols must have permit unless you are going to a range, or travling 2 or more counties away."  excert from officer knox 15yr vet of the Houston Police Department
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
boy are you guys lucky in certain states even shotguns are registered so if you want to give one to your kid you have to fill out paperwork.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Forget the paperwork and MOVE!

I believe the permit that Citabria7GCBC is talking about is for carry concealed isn't it?  Or do you relly need a permit to transport a pistol across county lines???

No such thing as a permit here - except for concealed carry.  We can open carry anywhere outside Anchorage city limits or on private property.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"you can carry rifles and shotguns openly and in a safe fashion if you want.  or in your truck/cars.  no permits required for those.  pistols must have permit unless you are going to a range, or travling 2 or more counties away."  excert from officer knox 15yr vet of the Houston Police Department

Officer Knox is not completely correct, in spite of his vast experience.  Following from www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/texas...

"There is a "traveling" exemption in the law for non-CHL holders -- it is no longer a "defense to prosecution", but instead renders the prohibition "not applicable" (see PC 46.15 of the Penal Code) However, "traveling" is still defined by case law, and varies between jurisdictions. The alleged rule about "crossing two county lines" is case law, and not binding. I wouldn't advise anyone to depend on it."

Knox is correct in that loaded rifles and shotguns are fine insofar as state law is concerned, but might be modified by city regulations (seem to remember some issues in San Antonio, but not sure).

-hanko

Greg, I've just asked Eric the Hun for air support.  I'd wait on his answer as to the handgun issue (unless you have your chl) before you do anything.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave it to San Antonio to fvck it up. Hell, it's even illegal to carry a lock-blade knife in S.A.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Leave it to San Antonio to fvck it up. Hell, it's even illegal to carry a lock-blade knife in S.A.

Huh???  Where did you get THAT information?

I have noticed that there are far fewer rifles in the back windows of TX pickup trucks than 10 years ago or so.  Probably due to high theft rate.  Too bad.  I've always wanted one of those electronic locking overhead AR-15 racks like Gall's sells for police cars.  I don't understand why we can't carry 37mm recoilless rifles openly in/on vehicles.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top