Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 1:45:42 PM EDT
Ok, for those of us in California, how many manufacters make CA legal lowers?  Anyone gone this route yet?  Experiences?

I know of the FAB-10, and that looks like it might be the way to go.  An advantage here is that you *might* be able to legally take a standard capacity magazine that you already possess and have a gunsmith put *that* in there instead of the 10-rounder.  (Any comments on the legality or feasibility of this would be welcome.)

Another route is the bolt-gun.  I've only seen one manufacturer (Something-or-other-Wile?), and I'd like to hear of any positive or negative experiences with bolt-action pseudo-AR's.  An advantage here is you could use pre-ban uppers and collapsible stocks legally, since no semi-auto, and you wouldn't have to sacrifice an irreplaceable standard capacity mag.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#1]
DPMS has this:

www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=2102809&St=5696&St2=-551444437&St3=420852693&DS_ID=9&Product_ID=11136&DID=90

Also are pump action "AR-15s" available. (I thought DPMS had them, but can't find them on the website)

Scott

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay that's just too painful to contemplate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Prudent,
 You can't modify mag capacity in the FAB 10. You can have evil features, but a 10-round fixed magazine is all that's allowed.
 The FAB 10 is legal because by definition of the law it eliminated the possibility of hi-caps, therefore bayo lug, pistol grip, etc...can all be had together.  
  I'm sure Troy can fill in the picture much better than me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah.  Just re-read the law.

Geez, I just want something to plink w/ and/or defend the homefront w/o having to worry that I can never replace it.

At least the law has created a noticeable decline in those mass-shootings that were PERFECTLY LEGAL before SB23.  Glad we closed that loophole, because the people who do those things are ALWAYS ADULTS WITH NO CRIMINAL HISTORY who have NO obstructions to buying guns LEGALLY.  Yeah, right.  You wanna buy the deed to the Golden Gate Bridge? Cripes.

As if those bozos in the LA BofA heist would have said, "Hey, I know we've got a criminal history and we're in possession of firearms, not to mention high as kites, and I know we've illegal converted these firearms to FULLY-FREAKING-AUTOMATIC, and I know we've got no compunction with killig innocent people and all, but I just don't feel right about bringing this 30-round mag across state lines..."

I am sooo moving as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm beginning to think I put this in the wrong forum.

I guess the fab-10 is the best way to go.  Can you use pre-ban uppers on it?  I'm assuming Fed law doesn't exempt rifles w/ non-detachable mags, but who knows?

Is troy out there?  Any info?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:52:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm beginning to think I put this in the wrong forum.

I guess the fab-10 is the best way to go.  Can you use pre-ban uppers on it?  I'm assuming Fed law doesn't exempt rifles w/ non-detachable mags, but who knows?

Is troy out there?  Any info?

Thanks.

Pre- and post-ban describe what the government calls 'assault rifles'.  Further, what qualifies a rifle as an 'assault' variety IS the detachable magazine.  Without the detachable magazine, the rifle is not of the 'assault' variety; therefore, pre/post-ban dies not apply.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#7]
So pre-ban upper is okay on a fixed-mag lower like the FAB-10.  Cooool.  Hey, I have to find a silver lining somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been thinking that it would be cool if you could re-load it like a Garand, but I dont think that would ever fly.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top