Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2002 1:23:34 PM EDT
Why the hell would a firearms manufacturer/importer not sell parts to it's loyal customers???  I mean doesn't it make sense that since they have the parts, and they have the expertise, that they would sell the parts as well?

I called about 5 times from work today(long distance) and finally got through to customer service parts sales extension.

ME:"I need a part for an M1"
Benelli:"Are you a distributer?"
Me:"No, just a long time customer."
Benelli:"We don't sell parts to individuals, call xxx."

I had never heard of the company they directed me to, nor did they have a webpage, not an 800 number.  Forget that, I'll just go to a local store and support a local FFL I trust.

So they have the parts at Benelli, and sell to distributers, BUT they won't sell directly to me.  So I will have to order from a dealer, pay him for his time and shipping, wait for him to get a price, order the part (if Benelli has in stock) receive the part, then I can go into the shop and pick the part up (pay the increased price).  All this instead of paying Benelli, and having them ship the damn part directly to me!

Makes no sense to me.  Sorry for the rant...
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Parts Nazi.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why the hell would a firearms manufacturer/importer not sell parts to it's loyal customers???

They might have an agreement with their distributors not to sell directly to the public.

So they have the parts at Benelli, and sell to distributors, BUT they won't sell directly to me.  So I will have to order from a dealer, pay him for his time and shipping, wait for him to get a price, order the part (if Benelli has in stock) receive the part, then I can go into the shop and pick the part up (pay the increased price).  All this instead of paying Benelli, and having them ship the damn part directly to me!

I think that's the idea. "You distribute/act as a middle man for our product, and in return we won't sell direct and we'll also refer any purchase inquiries to you".

Bottom line is... Benelli doesn't have to deal with small orders, they keep their distributors happy, Benelli still gets your (our) money.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

They might have an agreement with their distributors not to sell directly to the public.

Good point, I never thought about that one.  Still pisses me off.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
U must be new to the world of business and economics.

Alot of businesses sell this way.
It's known as the "channel".

First of all, it's an easier way for benelli to keep track of their items in turn making business "cleaner" to run.

Second of all it keeps alot of liabilty off them as well.

Third, this way of business creates more jobs and money for our econemy.

The end result is us paying alittle more for a product and a greater chance that you'll deal with a numbnut trying to forfill your order.

Please don't shoot the messanger on this one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the same problem with an Autopart. I bought an complete fuel kit for my T/A from a reseller. The manufacturer was Aeromotive. I was having trouble with it, and called Aeromotive tech support. They advised me I needed another part, and gave me the part number. I tried to order it, but hey wouldn't sell it, they said I had to get it from a dealer. DOH! SO, I called the dealer, and they had to order it from Aeromotive as it's not a common part. Takes 2 1/2 weeks!

Anyhow, I think a lot of it has to do with accounting. Most manufacurers aren't set up for dirrect sells. They make stuff, and sell to a disributer. They keep  maybe a few dozen accounts, instead of millions. Imagine if ford did direct sales to customers????? All the paperwork, the people they would ahve to hire, the $ flow. . . .

Sucks at times, but I understand why.

-Justin
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
When I needed parts for my M1 Super 90, they sent them immediately. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong parts. When I called they apologized profusely and not only sent me my parts, the sent me an entire rear sight assembly!

This happened in 1999. I'd hate to think that Benelli has gone stupid since then. Maybe you just spoke to the wrong creep.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top