Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 11:15:07 AM EDT
I know that the best mags for this gun are the Ruger made mags but IF you find one they are expensive. So are their any really good mags for the Mini 14?
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand...the mags are good, it's the rifle that is sub-standard. It's like putting High Octane race fuel in an AMC Gremlin.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]
When I had a couple of Mini-14s I had best luck with the Thermold and PMI mags.  I have a new Thermold on sale on Gunbroker www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4237288.

If you want it you can have it for $30 plus shipping.  They really are 2nd only to the Ruger factory mags in terms of reliability.  I thought I had sold all of my known functioning Mini-14 when I got rid of the Mini's, but this one was hiding among my AR-15 Thermolds.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Mini-14s ROCK!  I have four pre bans, two that have been parkerized and two stainless, all with folding butler creek stocks and A2 flash hiders.  They all jam if you use shitty mags, but if you get good ones like I have they will NEVER fail you.  I don't know what brand they are because they are not marked but I have 4 ruger 20 rounders and 30 aftermarket 30 rounders that all work great.  I also have 5 30 rounders that don't work great.  I have heard that PMIs are good and I think they are about $40 each.  I don't only put my life in the hands of the Mini-14s, though I also have a tricked out SAR-2 and two AR-15s in my assault weapon collection.  However I wold 100% trust my life with the mini-14s if the Rooskies ever invaded.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
From what I understand...the mags are good, it's the rifle that is sub-standard. It's like putting High Octane race fuel in an AMC Gremlin.

Maybe some people are substandard.  'I heard this....' or 'I heard that......'

Anyway, to the subject at hand, I found that the Ramline combo mags work best in the Mini.  The mag that supposedly works in the Mini, the AR15, and the AR180.  I doesn't work worth a crap in either of the two ARs as it is too fat and won't slide easily into and out of the mag well, but it works great in the Mini.  This from personal experience.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
EagleArms- didn't know we were still worried about the 'rooskies'!  I think there are some others to be more concerned about at this point!  But it's a point well taken.  I've got a mini, it's not as advanced as an AR but still a really solid piece.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
the mini 14 is an excellent rifle. i have to qualify with one annually. the rifles we had at the academy when i hired in back in '98 were the original rifles bought in 1985. the rangemaster told me that he estimated that each one had consumed in excess of 90,000 rounds.as for magazines, i agree with you guys. ruger,PMI,thermold are good mags. my mini-14's work great with usa mags also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top