Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2002 8:30:58 PM EDT
What kind of scope dose the delta Sniper have on his M14?

Josh223
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint Comp M I think.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]
aimpoint, not sure which variant. im not sure when comp m2s came out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
aimpoint, not sure which variant. im not sure when comp m2s came out.

Since the M2s just came out this past year I'd bet is the Comp M/XD
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's another thing I'm wondering.

Why did the Delta guys mount the Aimpoints on the carry handle?  Didn't they already have ARMS #39 back then or did they really use them that way?

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's another thing I'm wondering.

Why did the Delta guys mount the Aimpoints on the carry handle?  Didn't they already have ARMS #39 back then or did they really use them that way?

No ARMS#39 at the time, and IIRC they didn't have the gooseneck mount available either.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't think the Aimpoint even came out with the CompM until after the BHD incident.  I think the movie made a mistake.  Most likely it was the 5000 model that would be used in the battle.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't think they would still be using the M60 in '93.
On the other hand the GE Mini gun made a nice showing, a true crowd pleaser. What I wouldn't do to have one of those, up to and including going gay for a day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Why would a"sniper" be using a red-dot scope? Sounds kinda Hollywood to me.
Oh yeah , and his spotter had a suppresed M-16? Is that SOP?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Umm...perhaps they had the experience to know what works and what doesnt...

And Gordon was not Shughart´s spotter per say.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:51:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Anyone else notice that the M-14 in the photo is not a select fire? No selector, no connector.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Sukebe, according to the information i have, they used both an M1A and M14 rifles at the set.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sukebe, according to the information i have, they used both an M1A and M14 rifles at the set.

My observation wasn't meant to knock the production. I saw the movie three times and was more infuriated with each viewing (Clinton will burn in hell). Is that masochistic? I was really just illustrating how anal retentive we can be about our hobby. Even the  smallest detail will not go unnoticed if someone has an interest in the subject.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone else notice that the M-14 in the photo is not a select fire? No selector, no connector.

Better watch it a fourth time. The scene I saw in the helicopter was a M14 with a selector switch and connector bar as clear as day. As for the photo it is too dark to see.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better watch it a fourth time. The scene I saw in the helicopter was a M14 with a selector switch and connector bar as clear as day. As for the photo it is too dark to see.

What did i say in my last reply...

I have a clearer/larger version of that picture, there is no selector in that particular rifle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Posted by Tuukla:

Quoted:
<snip>

Umm...perhaps they had the experience to know what works and what doesnt...

Hollywood knew what to use??
I was asking if this was the actual set-up used on the M1a/M14, or just more Bruckheimer bullshit? Thanx

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had the chance of talking with several TFR members via the net, i have no 100% info whether Shughart had an Aimpoint on his M14 or not. But it could have been one, since the 5000 series was used at that time.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
On the other hand the GE Mini gun made a nice showing, a true crowd pleaser. What I wouldn't do to have one of those, up to and including going gay for a day.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did i say in my last reply...

I have a clearer/larger version of that picture, there is no selector in that particular rifle.

The photo is fine and clearly shows no selector or connector. It is also very plain that the stock has no cut outs for these parts. Anyone who is reasonably familiar with the M-14 should be able to see that. From the angle and lighting of the photo The selector on an M-14 is impossible to miss. The cut outs for the select fire parts on the stock would be impossible to miss including the connector cut out. That is unless your blind or don't know what your looking at. I'll see it a fourth time, hell, I'll buy the DVD. But it won't be because I don't know what a real M-14 looks like.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You have to consider the method of employment.  The Delta snipers on those missions were essentially heliborne sharpshooters.  Their mission was delivering precision rifle fire from orbitting choppers.  In that mission a high precision Leupold M3 would be an absolute waste of time.  A red dot scope provides the fast target acquisition and aiming needed to hit the target from the chopper without bothering with all the crap that a real sniper scope requires.

Delta also use(d) M16 variants in this role pretty much as SOP, Shugart was unusual in choosing the M14 for that role.   Range was low and the mission wasn't so much a matter of killing with one shot kills, but inflicting casualties.  THe M16 is pretty good at that, especially when you have to take fast shots at targets of opportunity.

The armament carried by Shugart and Gordon makes sense when you consider the mode of employment. It would be way wrong for conventional sniping, but that wasn't the mission in Mog.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
right about the time that sergeant howe is complaining about the effectiveness of his   car-15 using green tippers, he also mentions that the m14 was pretty much shugart weapon of choice. the reason for this is because of it knock down power.

ps. this information comes from the book not the movie
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#22]
OK, I watched it a forth time. The pilot refers to his passangers as "2 Delta snipers". Then I realized the were probably using the helocoptors as their 'platform' so for those close in 'sniping' shots, I suppose the red-dot would make sense.

Can you see the selector on an M14 from the right side? In the helocoptor scene, I can't see a selector on the rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top