Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2002 2:34:23 PM EDT
What has been your worst firearm purchase over $400.  My vote would go towards the Ruger Ranch Rifle.  I don't know why I even bought this thing.  Mags will cost you an arm and a leg, not accurate, down right ugly and is not comfortable too shoot.  I think Ruger should stick with making the .22 firearms.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i paid a little over 400 for a taurus pt145 with an extra magazine. i thought it was cool, a nice little compact .45. wrong.

400 rounds later hairline fissures had formed in the polymer frame at top aft portion of the grip. taurus of course denied the problem. www.pt145.com in the 'problem' section says otherwise and of course so do i. luckily my dealer was cool, and gave me a full refund - i hope he was able to get his money back out of taurus.

waaaay happier with my p226.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Bren Ten.  Paid $550 and never got a mag with it.

Course, then I sold it and...never mind!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
A USP40 that I had planned on upgrading with a Match trigger.

Turns out I was stupid and bought an older model that couldn't be upgraded.  On top of that, the trigger was broken, and wouldn't reset half the time.

Sold it and bought another NEW model.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Taurus PT99, mine had just about every problem that an auto pistol could have and was really inaccurate. Several of my friends own PT 92/99's and theirs work just fine. Guess I got a lemon.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a Ruger Mini-14 acouple of years ago----Big mistake!!!---As stated in the opening comment---Crappy mags, poor quality, not very accurate.  I lost $25 in re-selling it---but just learned a lesson and didn't look back.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A Beretta 92FS that had a POI about 8" left and 8" low with a variety of ammo.  Beretta USA offered to "regulate" the sights "if they found it to be of of specification" after I sent it to them with a $45 check for "processing".  This for a NEW weapon?  Beretta can be intercoursed, IMO.  The 1994 Clinton ban went into effect two weeks later and I sold the weapon, box, papers, two factory hi-caps and three USGI hi-caps for $90 more than I paid for the ensemble about two months prior.

Six years prior I had a Taurus 92 that was a charm, and had decent accuracy, but sold it because my first love in 9mm is and will always be the BHP.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it was in 1992, I only paid $350 for my mini-14, stainless NIB.

However, I wish I would have bought an Colt AR instead.  STUPIID STUPID STUPID STUPID

But, I didn't want to spend the money at the times.  Man, if I only knew then...........
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#8]
ruger m77 mkll in 25'06. just not impressed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
a commevrative edition post ban bushmaster

damn thing worked good just shouldnt have bough the commerative ed. course i bought it before i moved from Ca to AZ and thought it was going to bet he only ar i could get my hands on
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid $2000 for a sp-1 from a dealer from Winchester,Ky.at a gun show.I was younger and dint know very much about Ar's.Well like they say a fool and thier money soon depart,although I did learn a lesson and havent forgot him or his friend.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Ridge, who was it?  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger mini-14. I may as well have burned $400, and gone out into the woods and cut myself a tree branch to use as a club.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I paid $650 for Ruger Mini-30 right after the '94 ban.Oh my god ,what POS! Mags sucked,accuracy with every ammo I could get my hands on sucked,fit and finish (Thats  stainless steel ???!! ) were bad. I tried everything possiable with that POS and finally gave up on it. I returned to the same dealer that I purchased it from (read: got ripped off from) three years later and traded it in along with alot of accessories for a post ban AR.The dealer must have felt a little guilty  'cuz he turned down a few others that I knew of that tried to trade in Mini- 14 and 30's.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ridge, who was it?  

Active Arms. As to my knowledge they are not in business anymore.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#15]
A Galil, believe it or not. Weighed ten pounds, about as accurate as a mini-14! Well made and reliable, yes, but a ten pound 5.56? Nah...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Sigh. A Petersoli replica of a double trigger 45/70 rifle. SOB wouldn't get on paper at 100 yards. I wasted I don't know how much store bought ammo trying to get the GD thing to print. Finally traded it in on a H&K USPC S/S 45acp. Much better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
A Springfield 1911 made in Florida.
It would never feed a complete magazine, I broke down and bought a Chip McCormick mag and even that didn't work.
FTF's, jams, failure to extract, all the neat things you want in your carry weapon.
I returned it to Springfield, they had it for two months, when it was returned it was a new pistol with the same serial numbers.  They didn't even return the Hoage grips.
After that it worked great.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Oly FAL.  Absolute junk.  Terrible geometry, and a terrible build.  It came FROM THE FACTORY direct, with excessive headspace and a host of other problems.

I should have just returned it, but I actually fixed it so it runs reliable.  I wouldn't trust it compared to my other ones, even my Century is head and shoulders above it, but it shoots good with a scope.  

I've put so much work into it, and it still is so bad an example, that I refuse to pawn it off on the unsuspecting.  I use it as a beater, and really don't mind anything that happens to it.

Ross
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine was a glock 27.  I think it was like 560 out the door.  Was my first glock.  I though i would try one out, i figured i could get use to it.  WRONG!!  What a piece of shit!!  The slide release was horrible.  I had to use both thumbs to get it to work sometimes.  The trigger sucks and is way to long of a pull.  I took the gun back the next day.  I'll stick with Sig Sauer and HK since they are far better handguns.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Century FAL, with the infamous Hesse receiver.

The feed ramp was malformed and it took some work with a Dremel to get things going.  It wasn't particularly accurate, maybe 2-3 MOA, and the rear sight was the wrong height.  I replaced the garbage L1A1 lower with a good STG 58 lower and things were much better.

Still I didn't quite trust it and always thought it should be more accurate.  I finally traded it plus $50 at a gun show for a Polytech M14.  Out of the frying pan, into the fire, so to speak.  But at least the Polytech is already proving to be more accurate.

I've still got all my FAL mags, scope mount, etc., and will probably build or buy a good one again someday soon.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:04:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Khar Arms Thompson rifle. $850 at a Great Western show. My first gun. What a disappointment. Badly made, jammed. A Thompson in name only. Traded it away for a Glock .45. Still have the Glock. Lost ~$300 in the trade but I'm happy now. Still hate Khar Arms though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I was a dumbass and bought a Tec9 from a
guy on this site named Ropes4u.
He said it worked great and no jams.

This worthless gun would not shoot more than
twice without jamming. I used 3 different kinds of ammo.

I should have know better given the guns reputation.

Fortunatly I got a sweet Jerich 9mm for an
out right trade on the deal with a pawn shop.
The Jericho was brand new.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Kimber Compact Aluminum. After I threw another $200 at it, it would shoot and eject.....most of the time.  Lemon City.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is another junk gun Springfield Compact.  This was a poorly built gun built in BRAZIL. The thing jammed more than strawberry jam itself.  I will never buy a SpringField pistol again, they do make an awesome rifle though.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Glock 30 with the self exploding chamber feature.

mike
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Springfield Armory 'Loaded' .45  Went back to the factory 3 times for jams, never was fixed...
A friend bought one from a different dealer and had the same problems...sent his back 4 times B4 he dumped it...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I spent apprx. $900 on a Colt Match Target LW in the early/mid 90's.
Biggest POS I ever came across.
Very unimpressive overall
It wouldn't feed the rounds correctly and would crush 80% of the casings no matter what mags or ammo I used.

Turned me off from ARs for about 5 years.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine was a glock 27.  <snip>  Was my first glock.  <snip> The slide release was horrible.  I had to use both thumbs to get it to work sometimes. <snip>

I know how people hate to do this, but if you'd cracked open your manual, you'd know that there's no slide release on a Glock.  It's called a Slide Stop, and it wasn't actually intended to release the slide.  The manual instructs you to rack the slide instead.

Of course, there are aftermarket parts available to convert the slide stop into a slide release if you want it that way, and after wearing in a bit, it gets much smoother on it's own.  But if you're going to criticize, at least learn the manual of arms for the gun first.

-Troy

Thats wierd.  I have seen several officers and friends use that as a "slide release" and have not had any problems in doing so.  As for myself, i have shot glocks befor and havent had that problem either.

Oh, and troy i still think that gun sucked!

And befor you criticize someones reply.  Read the post title.  

I must admit that my buddies glock did have a 3.5lb trigger  job on it.  Wich did feel good to me.  It kinda felt like it was a shorter pull aswell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I paid $650 for Ruger Mini-30 right after the '94 ban.Oh my god ,what POS!  

OMIGOD, I thought I was the only one who made that mistake!

I bought a regular Ruger .223.

I sold it for $350 to a friend. The only gun I took a big loss on.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#31]
The only bad gun I've ever had...  Carbon 15

It's so bad I refuse to pass it on to someone else...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine was the Ruger Mini-14.  I bought it because of the price.  I ended up giving it to my dad, and now feel terrible.  I am pretty sure he trusts it as his SHTF weapon, I am trying to convince him to get an AR, but I haven't gotten very far with it, may have to give him one.

Also, I have a Springfield 1911 that I bought to complement our Kimber, but it doesn't even come close.  I have been quite dissapointed in it so far, not very accurate, and the (average)impact point is about 4" below point of aim at 25 feet.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Springfield Armory 1911A1, it was their enhanced or custom version---absolute junk, jammed all the time, not accurate, sh!tty trigger
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine is a S&W Sigma in .40 S&W.  I liked the way is shot (feel and accuracy), but it would jam like crazy!  I found this out when I used it in a IPSC match.  (The only match I failed to complete)  Cleaned it and haven't shot it since.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Bren Ten.  Paid $550 and never got a mag with it.

Course, then I sold it and...never mind!

I had a Bren Ten for a while.

They look cool and shoot alright, but they are one of the sloppiest-made guns ever I did see!

There was about a 1/8-inch gap between the frame's dust cover and the spring-housing part of the slide.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#36]
  The weird thing is the Ruger 10/22 is one of my favorite plinkers! I guess some one in there engineering dept. was out sick the day they worked on the Mini-30....
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I was still a really green newbie and paid an outragous $750 for a used HK91 with scope and mount.  I sold it for $600.

Of course that was in 1987...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
The only bad gun I've ever had...  Carbon 15

It's so bad I refuse to pass it on to someone else...

Same here. I got into mine for $1000.  Sold it to a goober in realtree at a gunshow for $650.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#39]
A low serial numbered 1903 Springfield rifle that I can't shoot! It might blow up!!!!

Nice to look at though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:05:53 AM EDT
[#40]
$1900 for a preban Colt HBar at a gun show.  Last month I picked up another preban that was practically new for $999 at my local dealer.  That took the sting out of the $1900 purchase.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:58:34 AM EDT
[#41]
A recently made Model 70 Winchester. The stock looked like it'd been inletted and finished by a junior high shop class and the bolt shroud had to be replaced along with the floor plate (pin fell out when you opened it). Winchester messed around with it for two months before sending it back to me with a nice long scratch down the left side of the stock. After another month, they send me a new stock that won't fit. Since it was a left-handed rifle, I would've been pretty well stuck with it if I'd tried to sell it on my own. I was able to convince Winchester to issue a refund to me based on that, so I guess I didn't come out too bad other than shipping a rifle all over creation for six months and never shooting it. If you're in the market for a left-handed Model 70 in .30-06, beware of serial number G366768.

Anyone want to buy a like new set of Leupold 2 piece STD bases and rings for a Model 70?
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I was a dumbass and bought a Tec9 from a
guy on this site named Ropes4u.
He said it worked great and no jams.

This worthless gun would not shoot more than
twice without jamming. I used 3 different kinds of ammo.

I should have know better given the guns reputation.

Fortunatly I got a sweet Jerich 9mm for an
out right trade on the deal with a pawn shop.
The Jericho was brand new.

Thats to bad someone here lied to you
( Ropes4u ) about selling a good Tec9.
But you should have known there is no such
thing as a good Tec9. They make a good achor.

Glad the Jericho worked out.
I have one as well. Never have had a problem
with it.
The Israeli's make damn good guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Mine was a Wildey in .475 Wildey Magnum. Paid $1200.00 for it and waited 6 weeks. Never got off more than 2 shots without a jam. Took a bath on that one for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top