Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2002 6:12:30 AM EDT
I plan on ordering a service grade rifle, and am intrigued by the Danish rifles. Is there any one particular manufacturer that would be preferrable? Price differences between them isn't an issue. Is there one type that has the best chance of being in better condition than others? Any opinions/experiences welcomed!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The last I checked everything except service grade Springfields and rack grade Springfields were back ordered for up to one year.  Since CMP went to allowing people to choose the manufacturer alot of the "desirable" stuff dried up.  Situation could change tomorrow depending on what CMP unpacks.

Danes are good guns for the money.  Seem to be a bit rougher than US guns but still quite servicable.  With the 03 frenzy still going strong, be patient.  It could be upwards to 90 days to get an M-1 out of CMP.

Unless you're within driving distance of Camp Perry, then you just go to the new CMP store and see what they have.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
everyone else is right... if you want something quickly, just order an SA service grade.  The Danes, and most of the other manf. service grades are on a 'backlog' for a while.  

I have an SA myself.  No compromise in quality!  If you just want one that you don't have to mess with much, and just shoot, the service grade SA will be excellent.  I plan on ordering a Dane with a VAR BBL and probably a Dane rack grade to rebarrel in .308, restock, slap some NM sights on and trick out.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#4]
So are the others besides Springfield more desireable due to their rarity? This being my first CMP Garand, I mostly just want a shooter. So long as the SA version has all the quality of the others, it will do just fine. I may try to get a collector grade later in the year, if they make them available again.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't worry, you won't go wrong with a Springfield.  I got mine last December, and aside from a greasy cosmoline soaked stock, it was in great shape.  

A little stock cleaning and re-oiling and it was good to go.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:24:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So are the others besides Springfield more desireable due to their rarity? This being my first CMP Garand, I mostly just want a shooter. So long as the SA version has all the quality of the others, it will do just fine. I may try to get a collector grade later in the year, if they make them available again.

Gus, They'll all be decent shooters.  The Winchesters are a little more collectible, because they're a bit more rare than the SA's.  The IHC and H&R are post WWII, but have some collectors value because they too were manufactured in smaller numbers than the SA.  If you just want a shooter, and don't care about the collectability, just get an SA.  You won't be dissapointed.  As far as what you want, I don't think any one manufacturer is any better than the others.  

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
SA service grade is the way to go.  No excess waiting and the SA is as good quality wise as the rest.

The Danes have been a great deal and the VAR barrels have proven to be exceptional service grade shooters, but that secret is out and the things are in demand, so go with the SA for fastest service.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys, SA it is!  I hope it's as nice as Yankee1911's!! I'm not planning on using it for matches or anything like that, mostly for plinking and just for its history. Also thinking of adding a Remington 03A3 to the order for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a DCM Garand in 1996.  It's a fine rifle, but it's more of a plinker than anything else. I would recommend anybody reading this board buy the Bushmaster AR15 CMP, and THEN buy a Garand.  You can buy 3 Garands per year, so I don't think there's a shortage.  If you like Garands -- Great.  Personally, I feel they are overpriced.

I've had my BM CMP AR15 about 1.5 years and it's a GREAT rifle and a good deal at $860.  My Service Rifle scores jumped 100 points with the AR15 cf Garand.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got a DCM Garand in 1996.  It's a fine rifle, but it's more of a plinker than anything else. I would recommend anybody reading this board buy the Bushmaster AR15 CMP, and THEN buy a Garand.  You can buy 3 Garands per year, so I don't think there's a shortage.  If you like Garands -- Great.  Personally, I feel they are overpriced.

I've had my BM CMP AR15 about 1.5 years and it's a GREAT rifle and a good deal at $860.  My Service Rifle scores jumped 100 points with the AR15 cf Garand.

I've already got 5 AR15's including a 20" Bushmaster. One of them is going to be a CMP match rifle with a Tippie upper. I'm just looking to round out my collection a little.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Garand.  ARs are still in production, Garands are not.  Besides, the prices of all WWII rifles are going up in value.  I wished I had bought more stuff years ago when it was about half of what it is now.

I stole this baby for $500 about 7 years ago.  It is a 1944 SA with the orginal barrel.  For the most part, it is all orginal, except for a few things that have been replaced.  It is now worth over a $1000 because the barrel and receiver left the factory attached to each other.

Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#12]
macloud,

Nice garand!  Did you have it re-parked?  Just curious because mine is a 1943 SA and has the "typical" greenish-gray color, whereas yours looks almost black.  Good looking rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Springfield Armory is making some very good copies of Garands. Look at the bottom of the page:www.springfieldarmory.com/whatsnew.shtml

Quoted:
Get the Garand.  ARs are still in production, Garands are not.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
I did not refinish it, but I think it was refinished at one point.  The finish is black.  I have a book on order to check all of the lot numbers to see how orginal it is.  I will try to get some better pics of it in the future, since these are dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top