Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 3:33:53 PM EDT
I've already got two Garands from CMP, and am pondering a Springfield 1903.  With a M1A and AR15 I will have over 60 years of American combat rifle history in my gun safe.  So the question is: are there significant differences for a shooter?  There're 1903 and 1903A3, plus all variants and serial numbers.  Is any one particular variant better than other?

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The CMP 1903/a3s are a total crapshoot.  The 1903A3s are arriving in very nice rebuild condition. With the 1903s, you could get a 99-100% condition rebuild or a rifle with worn bore, cracked handguard and 10% finish. I currently have a 1903 Remington on order. These wre only built in the early 1940s and many have been coming through in nice condition(but, not all!). Good luck.  If you don't have a Remington 1903A3, than thats what you should get(IMHO) it will be nice with like new bore.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you decide to get a 03 from the CMP I would highly recommend getting a 03A3, either Smith Carona or Remington. The Springfield and Rock Island 03's high/low # have been really krappy, you either get a nice Greek rebuild or a beat to hell mixmaster S-box ! Either way not anywhere near worth what CMP wants $$$$wise. The 03A3's have been the best condition so far and at $ 400 are pretty close to market value and are also good shooters.....
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys.  Now I will just have to wait...
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently got a Remington 03 from CMP.  Excellent metal, so so stock.  Others that I know of:  a practically new in the box Remington 03A3, a high number Rock Island with 70% finish and so so stock, and another Remington 03A3 in very good tho not new condition.  

The Smith Corona A3's are sold out as is one other variation, which one excapes me.  Yes, it is a crap shot on what you get.  Appears that  all have been rebuilt somewhere along the line. Consensus is the A3's are probably the best ones followed by the Remington 03's.  

And yes, you will have to wait.  CMP is still overwhelmed with orders.  Expect at least a 90 day wait at this point.  

Go to jouster.com for more information.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got my Remington 1903A3 and it was in near mint shape. The stock was a little dinged up, but not bad. As with any CMP purchase it's luck of the draw what you get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top