Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2002 10:44:56 AM EDT
I'm going to put adjustable sights on my 1911 (actually a 1991A1), but all the sights I can find (at Brownells) require machining of the slide.

Does anyone know a good smith who works on 1911s in the St. Louis area?

Or does someone know of any adjustable sights that can be installed without working on the slide itself?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out Millet [www.milletsights.com].  They seem to have "no cut" adjustable sight options.  Good luck.  Let me know what you eventually end up doing.  I'd like to do the same upgrade.

Kent
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The gunsmith in New Melle can install sights for  you, as well as Otto Matuska near Grant's Farm (I need the business card for Otto's phone number,and I won't guarantee the spelling of his last name).
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks both of you for the info.

I found both Millet and Pachmayer adjustable sights that fit in the existing dovetail without machining, so I'm going to try one of them first.

So AeroE, if you read this, please don't go to any trouble to find numbers because I may not need them.

Hopefully I won't need them ... I am learning a lot about my 1911 as I'm replacing the trigger, hammer and sear myself.  When I'm done it'll be very neat - I already have a 400 Cor-Bon barrel with a recoil compensator on it, and more powerful springs, so when it's all done I'll post some pictures of the beast.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't bother with the Millett sights.  They have a small notch that doesn't give a very good sight picture, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've discovered that both the Millet and Pachmayer come with either a wide (.125) or a narrow (.08) notch, depending on the width of the front sight.  

Maybe what you saw was a narrow rear sight incorrectly matched with a wide front sight?

Who knows - I ordered a Pachmayer, so I guess I'll find out when I get it.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm going to put adjustable sights on my 1911 (actually a 1991A1), but all the sights I can find (at Brownells) require machining of the slide.

Does anyone know a good smith who works on 1911s in the St. Louis area?

Or does someone know of any adjustable sights that can be installed without working on the slide itself?

Thanks

Call Rick at BP-Tec 314-894-0720
They are in St.Louis area and do nice work.
If you want adjustable sites get BoMars.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've discovered that both the Millet and Pachmayer come with either a wide (.125) or a narrow (.08) notch, depending on the width of the front sight.  

Maybe what you saw was a narrow rear sight incorrectly matched with a wide front sight?

Who knows - I ordered a Pachmayer, so I guess I'll find out when I get it.  

The problem with the Millett sight isn't the width of the rear sight notch -- it's the depth.  It's too shallow for my tastes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top