Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 7:47:07 AM EDT
What do you look for? How do you tell a good Cetme from a  bad one? Is there any thing inparticular to look for, crooked sights, sloppy weld marks, a certain receiver type? Which reveivers are the best?

What should I be looking for in when paging through say...shotgun news? Do they mention what receiver they are made from?

What about the parts they are made from? Is there anything I should look for hwen it comes to this?

I would probably be ordering the rifle sight unseen from one of the many suppliers we are all familiar with. Which one where you happy with when it came to you Cetme?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Steve, I'm in the same situation that you are. I'm looking to buy but can't seem to find any reasonably surefire way of getting a good rifle.

From what I'm checking out it sounds like:
1)check bore
2)check that front and rear sites are centered-this is a big problem with all of CIA's rifles it seems
3)check bolt for wear and finish
4)Receiver. Are there a lot of welds, etc? If so I'd prob avoid as this is the most important part of your rifle-the rest can be fixed
5)Check cocking tube-some are bent

Sites:
www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/cetme1.html?1006652443870

www.gunboards.com  go down the page to the Cetme forum.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Stay away from anything with the word HESSE on it. Also Century has been having trouble with their newest sheet metal receiver. It seems to have holes all over the place on the one that I saw in person. Myself, I would spring for one made on the SS Cast receiver and expect it NOT to work out of the box. If it does you will be happy. Check out the CETME forum over at www.gunboards.com it is about 2/3 of the way down the Forums list.
Good Luck.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Try posting this question over at:
www.hkpro.com or
www.hk91.com

Both of these boards have good info about HK rifles and their clones.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The main thing is to get one with the Special Weapons receiver.To tell the difference the SW receivers will have the paddle wheel rear sight which is like the original Cetme.The Hesse will have the drum rear sight like on a HK 91.

It's very possible your sights will be off(mine were) but if you send it back to Century they will fix it no charge.I know it sucks to have to send a new weapon back but for the cost of the weapon-$300 www.southernohiogun.com it's worth it.It's as close as you'll get to a HK without paying $2000.Mags are dirt cheap right now.Cheapest mags are atwww.tapco.com

I'vs "heard" that they are scraping the bottom of the barrel now for Cetmes and the quality is not as good as it was a year ago.Mine looked new when I bought it a year ago.Bore,wood,bolt etc. all looked brand new.I love mine and it will eat anything.The best Cetme info is here---www.gunboards.com/forums/
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
How does one identify the SW receiver? Is it marked as such?
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The main thing is to get one with the Special Weapons receiver.To tell the difference the SW receivers will have the paddle wheel rear sight which is like the original Cetme.The Hesse will have the drum rear sight like on a HK 91.

The receivers are marked with the manufactore of the actual weapon,in this case Century Arms.The SW rear sight looks just like a paddle like on a old steam boat back in the civil war.This is the type the genuine Cetmes have.The Hesse made receiver will have the HK drum rear sight--it looks just like a 55 gallon drum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top