Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2002 8:06:17 PM EDT
Just got a Rem. 700 Sendero in 300 WM.

Probably going to put a Leupold 6.5-20 on top.

Any suggestions on rings and mounts?  Anything I should stay away from?

Leupold is an obvious choice, but they make two piece and one piece mounts -- is one better than the other?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the one piece Leupold mount. That's what I've got on my Rem. 700 VSSF in .308 that shoots 2" 3-shot groups at 400 yards.

Sturdier and less likely to lose your zero. The .300 Win. Mag. has pretty sharp recoil. I'd want the sturdiest mount that I could find.

Just my $0.02 'cause you asked...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:17:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Went with Badger rings and one piece mount with on my 300WM 700PSS.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi-Cap
Buy Quality, two piece this way you wont upset the vibes, can load the thing easier, and above all looks cool, so says my grandkids.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:58:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:44:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the steel Redfield mount(single mount)with the Redfield steel rings on all of my bolt guns. The Leupold mounts and rings are an alloy I saw one of their rings crack on a 300 Win Mag probably just a fluke, but I like steel. I just took a 6.5 x 20 Leupold of my V.S. Remington it is a very good scope but the limited field of view, limited eye relief and heat mirage at higher powers made this scope very hard to live with. I replaced it with a 4.5 x 14 Leupold Tactical with Mil Dots and I am much more comfortable with this set up.
I have shot a 300 Win Mag for many years it is a great cartridge you will probably really like it. If you handload try the 190 Gr. Sierra Match King at around 2800 fps.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:15:05 AM EDT
[#6]
On every Rem 700 I have, I use the Leupold Dual Dovetail with a reverse front mount. The reverse front is especially useful with the Leupold 6.5 x 20 because of the length of the scope.  I have used this on both short and long action 700's and I have never lost my zero.  Keep in mind, I'm not using my rifles for a ax or a sledge hammer.  I've had two rifles that "lost" their zeros, anf both had one piece mounts.  I'm not blasting one piece mounts because it does seem to me that they could make the action slightly more ridgid. On the strenght issue, I think you'd bend your optics if you hit somthing hard enough to break the above mount.  All that being said, I'd have to second the Badger mount from SWFA as another choice.  They make a outstanding mount.  BTW... I use the Leupold dual dovetails one everything from varmint rifles to 338 win mags including a 300 win mag and a 300rem ultramag.  No problems on any of them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Badger Ordnance is the only way to fly.

www.swfa.com/mounts/

-Troy

SWFA was sold out recently. I had to go to Premier Reticles to find the Badgers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
HiCap. Mark4 is what I have been using w/308 and my 7stwwith some heavy loads. Never a another thought given to them.Both are two piece by he way. Weaver new grand slam are good steel mnts and rings have set a few of these for others and all are very pleased. I have also used leopold's Qrw rings with steel weaver type bases and I really like them,not near as expensive as Mark4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top