Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 3:06:05 PM EDT
The drama began early Sunday morning in northwest Houston when gunfire broke out on the 6700 block of Ashland Forest at West Mount Houston. Neighbors who heard the gunshots outside their windows said it sounded like a war zone. When the smoke cleared, all the neighbors were safe, a teenager was dead and one officer was down.
"I heard gunshots,” said neighbor Glenda Brown. “I saw the flashing lights through the window and I just heard several gunshots like automatic weapons being fired and I just rolled out of bed unto the floor."

Outside, gunfire was being exchanged. More than fifty rounds were fired. Authorities say a 19-year-old teen wielding an AK-47 assault type rifle had come to the end of his road after a long chase with Harris County deputies. It happened in front of the teen's home.

"The first time he arrived at his residence, he never exited his vehicle, just pulled in and immediately backed out and started fleeing from the deputies,” explained Lt. Robert Van Pelt of the Harris County Sheriff’s Department. “That's when they were able to put out spike stripping and blow out his tires."

Deputies say he came out of his car firing his rifle. They fired back. Sgt. T.J. Bohannon got hit in the crossfire. He was rushed to Hermann Hospital with two gunshot wounds. One was in the wrist, the other in the torso.

His two brothers-in-law talked to the wounded deputy minutes before he went into surgery.

"He was real upbeat and he was concerned about everybody else. That's just the kind of guy he is," said the victim’s brother-in-law, Sgt. Paul Davidson.

Authorities say the suspect who was killed was 19-year-old Waseam Jung. As far as the officer, Sgt. Bohannon was reported to be in critical, but stable condition Sunday afternoon.

As soon as news broke that Deputy Sergeant Bohannon was injured, his fellow officers didn't think twice about giving the gift of life. Blood supply has been critically low in the area, and Sunday’s shooting serves as a reminder of how important it is to donate blood.

Sunday morning, officers from all different law enforcement agencies rolled up their sleeves to donate blood for sergeant Bohannon.

"We're all connected and just feel it's important to show support for every officer that needs our assistance," said Officer Kirk Kemp of the Houston Police Department.

The Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center says its collected about 75 units of blood for sergeant Bohannon, but stress that blood supplies are low. Elective surgeries have already been canceled as a result. If you'd like to donate blood, you can call the blood center at 713-790-1200.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks, Citabria.  I hadn't heard this yet.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope he comes through OK.......
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddies that work for the sheriff's department called me and told me about this this morning.  They said it was an SKS but that's really a minor detail.  They also said the HCSO Sgt was doing real well and they are more worried about infection setting in than anything.  This is all 3rd party info though.  Glad to see he's alive and the terd is DRT.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top