Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 1:41:26 PM EDT
Locally, Big 5 Sporting Goods has an I.A.I. (Israeli Arms) M1 Carbine Commemorative for $499 (reg. $599).

A search on the net shows prices anywhere from $595 to a low of $425 for a standard non-commemrative version. The Commemorative feature I could live without siince it is meaningless on this particular rifle.

Fulton Armory sells a premium all original restored M1 for $1099 which is more than an M1 is worth, IMHO.

Where's the middle ground? Normally I wouldn't buy from a mass merchandising sporting goods store like Big 5, but is the I.A.I a good value? Can one find a better price than $425?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a M1 Carbine IAI, bought it at a gun show last year for 425, I have put about 500 rounds through it, its a great little gun.

Buy it , you won't be sorry its a lot of fun, but stay away from S%B Ammo it was the worst.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an IAI (traded it in on a BM), and it was a great little gun, and never once gave me any trouble. Mine came with an old-type barrel band (no bayonet lug), and a metal handguard, so I oredered a late-model band and walnut handguard for it from SARCO. $425 is probably about as cheap as you'll find one these days. If you plan to use 30-rd mags, you'll want to put an M2 mag catch in it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Last I knew IAI used a cast receiver.  For the money they're asking you can get a USGI original.

If you want a commercial Carbine get one with a Springfield receiver.  They're beautifully machined.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, IAI are investment cast receivers. I've heard of Springfield receivers on sale (somewhere?) for around $65. Is that possible?

Would a Springfield receiver make an IAI gun much better or is it worth the trouble to try and change out the IAI cast receiver?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I would be interested in the Springfield receiver for $65. Where can I find one?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't worry all that much about the receiver being cast, as opposed to forged. After all, the SA M1A has a cast receiver.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Winchester M1 Carbine, it LOVES the S&B ammo.

Never had a problem once I replaced all the springs.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
425?? wow, I'm glad I got mine for Christmas from my dad! He paid 250.00 for an I.B.M., G.I. issue from a local guy.  He did strip it down and make me put it all together.  I got each part as one present.  Made for alot of boxes under the tree!  Best present I have ever opened!  My wife and I were hooting and hollering each time I opened one.

BTW, anyone catch the Indian guy on Fox News holding up a scoped(large)M1 carbine, walking the steets of India in protest?  Kind of funny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top