Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2002 1:29:02 PM EDT
after reading some notes here & on other BBs about people buying illegal AR-15s, (myself included, but i got my money back !) the question hangs in my mind.......

should we as responsible law abiding citizens who are legal gun owners & love our Second amendment, turn in to the law enforcement agency responsible those persons selling guns that can & will land some uninformed person in prison, YES !! i know it is "caveat emptor" BUT !! sellers usually know what they are selling......

so the question is; do we turn those guys in or continue to ignore them ??????

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it depends on the seller.

I know that alot of sellers out there know what they have and that it is illegal to sell what they have but take advantage of some buyers that don't know much about the rifles that they are purchasing.

Then again you have some people that don't really know much about guns or the laws and don't know they are doing anything wrong.

What it boils down to is people should be more aware of what they have and the laws that surround it.

People that knowingly sell guns in illegal configurations make it harder on those of us that abide by the law and they should be punished for what they do.

The more illegal activity that goes on in the gun world, the more laws the government will create. Which makes it harder on us lawful gun owners.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the key question. Are these law-breaking, monkey-sucking, scumbag morons doing it on purpose? Then surely they are making us all look bad. Get them off the streets...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
My hope is that the informed gun enthusiasts would do three things:

1) don't turn them in
2) don't ignore the dealer - instead, let him know your opinion that it may not comply with the law
3) more importantly, spend less energy on 1 and 2 and more energy on educating others about firearms and spend more energy on letting your elected officials know your opinion on gun laws that have zero impact on decreasing crime.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Well being somewhat new to this world I would:

1. Try to be as informed as possible to avoid any problems in the first place.

2. Try to give the seller the chance to make things right.

3. If all fails bury it.

4. I wouldn't go to the authorities, but I would never patronize the offender again.

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
OK, guys'n gals,

this is what i belive we need to do; IF buying a gun at a gun show get the sellers name, addy, ph #, & any other info, if seller refuses to give that info walk away real fast !! when you get the info from seller wryte it down, after you get home or what ever, you discover the gun is NOT legal, you contact seller & ask for a refund & state why, if seller refuses to "make thyngs right", then come here & tell all, especially if the seller is a dealer & holds an FFL, & also owns a shop !!

i agree the buyer needs to be informed & knowledgable, but in the "heat" of seeing a "cherry" or the deal of a lyfetyme, one tends to forget & loose all sense of reason, in my case i saw a beauty of a "pre-ban" Bushy, my brain..., whats left of it, told me the S/N cut off was L065001 that rifle was a L0640xx, the cut off is L062001, but i was lucky in that i wanted to "show off", my friend at the show took one look at it & said, "it's post-ban", i nearly had a heart attack !! but the seller was good about it, we had dealings b4, he too was surprized, but the real surprize came when he took it back to the person he got it from..., a long tyme FFL holder.........

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I realize you really like the letter "y", but that's really an irritating writing (perhaps I should say 'wryting') style.

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I've a simple way of looking at it..  If it was an intentional "ryp off" return it and let everyone know..  If he won't take it back, Turn him in...  If it was an error due to his lack of knowledge, educate him...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#8]
It a buyer beware type thing.
GG
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#9]

after reading some notes here & on other BBs about people spelling words badly, (myself included !) the question hangs in my mind.......

should we as responsible net-citizens who are good spellers & love our language, turn in to the spelling enforcement agency responsible those persons spelling badly that can & will land some uninformed person to look really goofy, YES !! i know it is "caveat emptor" BUT !! spellers usually know what they are spelling......

so the question is; do we turn those guys in or continue to ignore them ??????

So, waddya thynk?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
As gun owners we bitch whine and complain about how unfair an illegal the curent gun laws are.  We all know about the injustices the ATF and FBI has done on the American gun owner.  Yet some are so very willing to go to the government to make things right??  You are fools if you think the ATF or FBI will ever be there to help us in the long run.  Sure, go to them when you buy something illegal.....that will help everyone involved!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
sgtar15,

so whats your solution ? or methodology in handling an illegal gun ?

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
QS & DS,

i am certain i am most earitating to you liberals
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
sgtar15,

so whats your solution ? or methodology in handling an illegal gun ?

Simple:

1. Know what your buying

2. Solve the problem with the seller.

3. Keep your mouth shut and enjoy your new toy.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I would be leery of contacting the local law enforcement since I would be the guy holding the illegal "assault rifle"!

Why should they go after the dealer when I just made a case for them againt me?

"Hi, I have this illegal post-ban with pre-ban parts. Can I come in, sit down, and have a truffle with you guys? I bought it from a guy at a gun show, I really don't know his name or address. We can work this out, right?"

Av.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with Avalon. The first thing the law will do is bust you, take your new toy (leaving you with nothing to show for your hard earned $$), and then go after the other guy. Making sure you get your money back and are treated fairly wouldn't be their top priority.
As for what I'd do, thats a tough one.
????????
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
QS & DS,

Yes, you certainly are.

And you spell funny, too!

Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#17]
First step is to protect YOURSELF and absolve yourself from any legal mess. Hopefully, getting your money back is part of this process. If not, then legalize the gun with replacement parts. Any case (criminal or civil) filing will invaribly tie your gun up as evidence in a criminal investigation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#18]
As others have said further up on this thread, KNOWLEDGE!  Know your laws and know your weapons if you are involved with anything which could run afoul of the law.  It's not as hard as it seems.  You don't need extreme detail when dealing in bolt or lever actions.  If it's nice and short, better measure it for the 16" business.  For semi's , where the law is important, some serial number prefixes which will tell you pre or post ban.  Know the AR-15 M-16 parts differences.  BATF can call it a machine gun.

At the show, look at this stuff!  The dealer/individual will give you the innocent look, but if you have the M-16 parts in the wrong gun, it's you that gets busted.  If they object to you looking at the needed parts, walk away.

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 5:02:33 AM EDT
[#19]
how about this as a solution;

look at a gun, relaize it is illegal, don't buy it, go straight to the LEOs & report the criminal dealer ???????????????

sgtar15,

so you are advocating buying illegal guns ??????? is that a fair assesment ?
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
sgtar15,

so you are advocating buying illegal guns ??????? is that a fair assesment ?

I never said that.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a stupid law, so getting the authorities involved would be just as stupid.

If you would not be able to handle the situation like a mature person, then you should either a) know how to recognize a "Post-ban special" or b) don't buy at gun shows.

If you are like most gun owners, you want to obey the law, but don't want to be the tattle-tale kid.  Buyer beware...  If you buy a post-ban special, try to return it.  If they won't return it, then keep it, and get it machined to post-ban config, or simply shut up about it!
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
QS & DS,

isn't that a prohibited personal attack, calling them liberals? lock your account, please.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
QS & DS,

isn't that a prohibited personal attack, calling them liberals? lock your account, please.

Now, if it was spelled "y am certayn y am most earytatyng to yov lyberals" it might be grounds for derision, but not locking...

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I agree with Avalon. The first thing the law will do is bust you, take your new toy (leaving you with nothing to show for your hard earned $$), and then go after the other guy.

I think more like bust you and use it as an excuse to kick in confiscation laws to grab all your property/money, making a defense impossible (no money/house/car), also taking all your toys, charge you to make a case they can't lose, and throw you in jail when they realize that you have no knowledge/value as a snitch.  As a distant second thought they might go after the other guy just to add another win to their record.  if they find him or not, it will not matter, you are still screwed.

If it relates to firearms, the gov't is not your friend and has a long memory with unlimited resources.  When it relates to the 2nd, joe citizen owning firearms is their greatest fear, more so than any terrorist, and must be stopped at any cost.  How many people are getting visits on legally purchased parts kits, or for posts on gun boards, or are handed a weapon by an undercover agent asking a question and are then arrested, or being arrested and having firearms seized for a 20 year old misdemeanor that has been recently reclassified?  I would venture to guess that it is happening to more gun owners than non-gunowners.

If it seems too good to be true or you know better just let it go, it's not worth it.  treat this as serious business.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would be leery of contacting the local law enforcement since I would be the guy holding the illegal "assault rifle"!

Exactly! The lazy bastards will prosecute you without even having to leave their desks! Besides, when the ban sunsets it may be legal again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top