Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2002 4:31:10 AM EDT
Need some help here, Has anyone had problems with PMC ammo in .223 cal?  This is the stuff in the red and white box, lot no. 018.  I have used PMC in the past and shot thousands of rounds and this has always been high quality ammo. Anyone else had problems?  Please give me your thoughts and experiences on this.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:32:15 AM EDT
[#1]
i just finished burning up 1,000 rnds of PMC lot# 223A-221.....

no problems, no misfires, just good shootin ammo......
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought a 500 round case last year and didn't have a single problem with it out of either of my Colts. The brass appeared to be decent quality for reloading. I used it some for my bolt gun till I bought LC cases.

Shot pretty well out to 200 yards also.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Older lots in 223 gave me a problem. in my Bushmaster.

I reload and haven't tried them in years.

Also, my Springfield 1911 doesn't like their .45ACP either for some reason. FTF & FTE.

My USP and other friends guns don't have a problem with it but ALWAYS in my 1911. When I get cases to reload they (PMC cases) don't work right.

As a side note, I thought their 223  cases were a bit soft when I tried to reload them too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I shoot alot of PMC ammo with no problem, all calibers I might ad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:44:17 PM EDT
[#5]
One question..   Where is it made and who profits from it??   Hmmm!!!   I guess that's two questions with maybe one answer...
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One question..   Where is it made and who profits from it??   Hmmm!!!   I guess that's two questions with maybe one answer...

Its good stuff, Its made by Eldorado, as in Star Fire. They are in nevada. Oh yeah, it used to be from Korea.
GG
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Back about 6+ months ago our range owner was training private security guards. He aquired 6 new Bushy 20" AR's for this outfit and a few cases of Q3131 for the training. They ran out of ammo with no malfs of any kind and broke open a case of PMC. They had several short cycle events with it. The PMC I used to shoot several years ago was fine but this was recent stuff.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot a box of it and it performed well in my AR-10, which is finiky..  I thought it was coming from Korea, an area that I can't support, in these times...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Never had problems with the PMC .223, 30-30, .45 or 9mm. It is reliable and inexpensive ammo.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I had MAJOR problems with PMC .223 in my AR, but never in my Mini-14.

I have a relatively new Bushmaster, ~300 rounds through it.  M193, Winchester, and American Eagle cheapy stuff all shot great, but when I loaded a mag up with the PMC you mention, it would fire, but then subsequent rounds would have a very tough time loading, causing the rifle to jerk as the round didn't quite make it in the chamber, caught on the feed ramp, then made it in.  Around 1 out of 4 rounds wouldn't make it in, crunching up inside the receiver and requiring removal.

I posted here, and another guy said he had the same problem with his Bushmaster, saying the copper is of a softer consistency than other manufacturers, and smears itself onto the feed ramp, causing later rounds to "stick" to the feed ramp and cause mis-feeds.  If you clean the smeared copper off the feed ramps ~every 20 or so rounds, the problem won't happen.

I just moved my PMC to my Mini-14 only pile of ammo, and feed my "snooty" AR top quality stuff from now on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top