Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2002 7:56:42 PM EDT
Is there talk around that hi cap preban mags are illegal in NY?  I tried to make a bid on a few hicaps and was told that they can't see to NY.  I know this is not true, what have you guys heard.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, hi cap pre-ban mags are legal in New York. I know I've seen 20 round M14 mags and 30 round M16 mags for sale in a large Albany gun store. CheaperThanDirt.com has no limitations listed on shipping them to NY.

Things are much different in New York City. Don't know all the restrictions, but I've read that getting a permit for just a target rifle is an involved and expensive procedure. Other counties and localities may have further restrictions, and there are always local cops who have their own bogus interpretations of the law.

I'm no lawyer, but here's the definition of a "large capacity ammunition feeding device", which IS illegal, from assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=68, Article 265 of the New York penal code, "Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons":

"Large capacity ammunition feeding device" means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, manufactured after September  thirteenth,  nineteen  hundred  ninety-four, that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds  of ammunition;  provided,  however,  that  such  term  does  not include an attached tubular device designed to accept,  and  capable  of  operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What large Albany gun store?  I live near Albany?  Is it B&J'S?  Looking for some good deals on preban mags.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
B&J it is. I didn't look at mags today, but they had some last Friday. Their supply changes rapidly, so call first.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I will have to check in there soon.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Notice how it says [after September 13, 1994].  That applies to all states actually, so the hi cap mags are legal as long as they were manufactured before that date.  Mags manufactured after that date are not legal ANYWHERE, except for LEO's.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
High cap's are fine anywhere except NYC here in the empire state.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just to add: NYC and the 5 Buroughs (Mannhattan, Statan Island, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens) They have a ban on "Assault Weapons."
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just to add: NYC and the 5 Buroughs (Mannhattan, Statan Island, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens) They have a ban on "Assault Weapons."

Thanks Vinnie!  When we say NYC we mean the city proper and the five boroughs but if you are not from the area of course you wouldn't know that.  kudos for the clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top