Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2002 12:35:58 PM EDT
I just recently bought an H&R M1 Garand in 98% condition. I took it apart last week to clean it before shooting it  and noticed it has some odd etching in the side of the receiver.

It's located on the right (charging handle side) flat side of the magazing box and the wood completely covers it.
It says:

L E A D
01-66

I asked a local gunsmith about it and he wasn't sure what it meant either but comfirmed he has seen similar markings in the past. He even showed me a Winchester M1 Garand he had in the shop for some work that had similar markings but with different numbers. The numbers appear to be a date.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could explain these markings to me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#1]
These might be arsenal rebuilding marks?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
These might be arsenal rebuilding marks?

Most likely. Want a LOT of obscure arsenal service marks? Start collecting SMLEs. Some of them got serviced DOZENS of times. Often to "update" the lovely early designs with the latest "improvements"....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Princeton-

The marking in question indicates that your M1 was rebuilt at the Letterkenny Army Depot in January of 1966.

Others were rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot and are marked "RRAD".

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Princeton-

The marking in question indicates that your M1 was rebuilt at the Letterkenny Army Depot in January of 1966.

Others were rebuilt at the Red River Army Depot and are marked "RRAD".

Hope this helps...

Damn, they were still doing rebuilds on Garands as late as 1966?  Not complaining, as I believe it is still to this day one of the all time great rifles and I have 3.  You must have 3 so you can stack arms.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information!

To be honest it looks like it hasn't been shot since the rebuild.
I hadn't expected it to be all original, I was looking for a shooter that was in good condition. In that respect I think I got better than I had hoped for.

I looked it over real good when I had it apart and most of the parts are either H&R or Winchester.

Shooting it was alot of fun. Definitely up there on my most favorite firearms list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top