Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2002 11:16:48 AM EDT
Not as acquainted as I should be with black rifles, but bride wants me to get one for my Birthday from her picked out by me.
I'm being conservative.
Found a DPMS Lower, Colt Upper with orginal triangular handguards, used model, though the DPMS lower looks nearly brand new.
He only wants $700 or so for it and will throw in an extra couple of mags and a couple of boxes of .223.
Decent price? Any bad news? I've bought a p230 from the guy and it's tiptop and taken care of.
He's an NFA licensed dealer with a small shop.

Whaddyall think?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that an M16 or an AR-15?

If it's an M16 for $700 AND after reading the post that someone bought one (M16)at a gunshow for $1000 and took it home that day...

I give up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
i do not thynk it appropriate to put M-16 in the title of your note....., stick wyth AR lingo, M-16 seems to set off some hot buttons here & i have one of them...., a hot button

i also thynk you have a good combo there, put it on the brides credit card, don't forget a scope, a case of ammo, bench rest, sand bags, cleaning eqpt., spotting scope, targets & whyle yer at it check out the new "Vettes"........  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The gun shop guy calls it an M16. Claims the colt upper is from an M16.....didn't know it pushed buttons...

May I be so bold as to why, if the upper IS from an M16, it would be a bad thing to put in a post here?  I understand that all the Bushmasters, DPMS, etc are AR15 type rifles, but technically, wouldn't only an Armalite AR15 be one? so I'm confused and stupid or mayb just didn't realize that M16 is not a "branding" for our beloved rifles.

So, is it a decent price for a used AR -type with a colt upper and dpms lower?  

???????

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok Ok I read the BS post about buying a "real M16" for $1k.

I get it, M16's are designated full auto NFA Class III restricted weapons.

So the gun shop guy should use different terms and so should I, especially to all the ATF agents monitoring our posts.

It's a semi-automatic DPMS lower, Colt Upper AR-15 with triangular hand guards. All black, though there is a slight color mismatch between Colt upper (it's darker) and DPMS lower.

It looks in good shape, barrel is chrome lined the whole bit. He claims it's a tack driver....
$700?

good price for a put together used AR?

Sorry to have pushed those M (8+8) buttons!

Just kidding, I know why there is sensitivity now..........
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
CAUTION:  It sounds like this guy is trying to sell you a preban colt (SP1?) upper on a postban lower reciever! THIS IS A FEDERAL OFFENCE! The way to tell is if the upper has a boyonet lug and/or a flashhider, if so, insure that the lower is preban as well, or ask him to drop the price down to $400 and bury it
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I know it has no bayonet lug. The guy is an NFA dealer, and "seems" to know the laws. At least when I saw him measure a shotgun and tell the customer that it would be considered NFA it seemed like he knew his stuff.

Now flash hider. Looks like it's just a compensater/port that blows the blast out sideways to lessen recoil. Whole thing does nothing to hide the blast, actually would make it more noticeable like my ported V-10's ports.

It's stamped Colt. Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Coz,

What is the outside diameter of the muzzle device? and is it permanently attached, as opposed to threaded?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The gun shop guy calls it an M16. Claims the colt upper is from an M16.....didn't know it pushed buttons...

May I be so bold as to why, if the upper IS from an M16, it would be a bad thing to put in a post here?  I understand that all the Bushmasters, DPMS, etc are AR15 type rifles, but technically, wouldn't only an Armalite AR15 be one? so I'm confused and stupid or mayb just didn't realize that M16 is not a "branding" for our beloved rifles.

So, is it a decent price for a used AR -type with a colt upper and dpms lower?  

???????

Since as you say he seems to know the laws then I would asume he would know the diffrence in a pre, and post ban AR.  Selling a pre-ban AR at $700 knowingly would make him an idiot.  Assuming it is a post-ban AR $700 for a used one is way to high.  In my area you could buy a new in box Bushmaster for $730 if you want a standard 20" model.  Hope this helps.

The Azalin
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]
DScott,

Just guessing. The compensater looks like it's about 1/8 thicker than the barrel, so I guess that would be 1/4 total diameter thicker huh?

It doesn't hide the flash that I could see. Wouldn't a flash hider be cone shaped and not ported? Darn, I need more info before asking you guys...I do appreciate the data though.

He bragged on the Colt upper, said, "If it ain't stamped Colt, it ain't Colt"  Now he never gave me a date on the upper. I think it is in such good shape that I don't think it's a military issue (no offense sir!).

I'll ask more questions. He really wants me to buy it, keeps adding extras to take home...he's added a sling and keeps offering to put round handguards on it....I like the flatbottom triangulars though......
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Azalin,

Thanx. My bride says she saw a Bushmaster for $800 at a gunshow NIB, and doesn't want me to get a used problem weapon.
I really like the Bushmaster XM15 Shorty with the "tactical" stock...I forget if its and E2S or whatever. It's an M4 looking deal with the carry handle which I like.
Now that's gonna probably bust a grand though to get one...guess I'll go visit Jim Pruett and see what he can do for me......

I'm gonna kick myself for buying to many guns at nondealer prices once I get my ffl aren't I?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Azalin,

Thanx. My bride says she saw a Bushmaster for $800 at a gunshow NIB, and doesn't want me to get a used problem weapon.
I really like the Bushmaster XM15 Shorty with the "tactical" stock...I forget if its and E2S or whatever. It's an M4 looking deal with the carry handle which I like.
Now that's gonna probably bust a grand though to get one...guess I'll go visit Jim Pruett and see what he can do for me......

I'm gonna kick myself for buying to many guns at nondealer prices once I get my ffl aren't I?

Go to:
www.aimsurplus.com or
www.armthepopulace.com
If you want the Bushmaster post-ban M4 clone.  Call either one of the companys I listed above and find out current prices, I know that they will be much less than a grand.  Then have them ship it to a local FFL dealer.

The Azalin  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Azalin,

Don't take this as a flame, but if your getting your FFL soon, you have alot of studying to do.
The legalities in firearms nowadays seems like it could be a fulltime job.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Before you buy the shorter barrel M4 clone, be sure to read the ammo faq on the site so you understand what the lower muzzle velocity does to terminal ballistics (lethality), then decide if the shorter weapon is really what you want.  I was not aware of the difference.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'll ask more questions. He really wants me to buy it, keeps adding extras to take home...he's added a sling and keeps offering to put round handguards on it....I like the flatbottom triangulars though......

That one paragraph give anyone else the willies? Why is he pushing to sell it so hard?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:05:57 AM EDT
[#15]
The price of the used gun would have been to high, and if you do get it for cheap, don't forget to check to see if there is still an M-16 bolt carrier in it. This would also be a felony.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually, all the info you guys have given me is EXACTLY why I asked.

Thanx.

I won't be purchasing that weapon. Sounds too risky, dontcha think?

As far as studying for the ffl, I've ordered some detail on that very topic.

This guy is an NFA dealer, so he does sell Class III gear...hmmm. May not go back though his handgun prices are very competitive.

Cheers, thanx for the info

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top