Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 10:31:57 PM EDT
It is my understanding that an FAL is not illegal in CA unless it has a pistol grip attached.  Thus entreprise and DSA will ship to CA without the grip.  What about a "thumbhole stock" on one of these?  Would this be legal?  And, as a follow up question: Is there any source for a 10 round FAL mag?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to make this easy for you. If you have anything that even resembles a firearm. Its illegal in California, With the exception of a squirt gun and my guess is those will have to be registered in the next year or two. Sorry
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#2]
www.arizonaresponsesystems.com has 2 Kalibian-compliant fals...one loads from the top with stripper clips like a FAB-10, the other is shipped less pistol grip.  Mark's workmanship is every bit as good as the two suppliers you mentioned.

Thumbhole stock, like the first version of the Century L1A1 clone, should have been registered so it's now a no-go.

Check ARS or maybe Tapco for 10 rounders.  I've shot an FAL without the grip, no easy.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:26:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thumbhole stock are now pistol grip as far as the law is concerned.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't count on DSA. Depending on who you speak with, you will get different answers. One month they say they sell in CA, the next month they say no. If you really want a DSA, try to buy from one of their dealers, not from them directly. But don't fret, 'cuz Gunplumber can put together anything you like on an Imbel receiver that is superior to DSA's offerings in both fit and finish.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is my understanding that an FAL is not illegal in CA unless it has a pistol grip attached.  Thus entreprise and DSA will ship to CA without the grip.  

The Entreprise gun will not be drilled & tapped for the grip screw either.

DSA came out with a rifle with a fixed 10 round mag which loads through the top like an SKS. But they wont sell it without CAL-DOJ approval, and they have not made getting that approval a priority.

Good luck finding an California FFL who will recieve & Transfer a FAL from Gunplumber or anyone else unless it comes with written approval from CAL-DOJ.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Two options, as above:

First, leave off the PG and figure a way to secure the triggergaurd, as it it held on by the PG.

Second, permanently fix a 10 rounder, slap on a para stripper compatible dustcover, and have a ball.

Here are instructions on permanently fixing:

home.pe.net/~rvthomas/new_page_2.htm

It takes minutes and is very straightforward.

This guy:[email protected], Larry, can modify a 20 rounder by lengthening the follower and welding on the baseplate for about $20.  HE aslo carries the extra mag release so you will have a stock one for when you move.  Tell him Bill, CITADLEGRAD, referred you.

DSA carries the para dustcovers.

email with other questions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Entreprise gun will not be drilled & tapped for the grip screw either.

Do you have first hand experience? My Entreprise FAL is the same as any other. They just ship the pistol grip in a separate box.

DSA came out with a rifle with a fixed 10 round mag which loads through the top like an SKS. But they wont sell it without CAL-DOJ approval, and they have not made getting that approval a priority.

Yeah, why bother when you can get an M1A that will out shoot it anyway. For $1,600 it's probably not worth it. But it is a beautiful gun, no doubt about that.

Good luck finding an California FFL who will recieve & Transfer a FAL from Gunplumber or anyone else unless it comes with written approval from CAL-DOJ.

There are some, trust me. They just keep a low profile.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for your info.  I don't know how you keep up on all this stuff, but I appreciate your willingness to share info.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The guys at Entreprise will do the paper work for you on one of theirs or even a DSA. I haven't seen the new "10 round" versions in stores yet, I don't know if the demand is there. I built two Imbel FAL's recently. Entreprise did the paperwork, installed the barrel and parkerized them. Just sold without the pistol grip but the stud is still there. All Kali legal.

If needed, the grip can be put on in about 30 seconds. With the fixed mag versions, your stuck forever with just 10. I already had a FAL so I had 20 round mags a plenty. The DSA 10 round mags are marginal. They come new but they've caused some loading problems with all my FAL's. My very used surplus 20 rounders, from various parts unknown, run problem free.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The only way you could use a detachable mag was if you had something like a thumbhole stock.  You need to eliminate 1 of your evil features to keep it.  Your best bet is permanently fixing a magazine to hold 10 rounds, kind of like how the SKS loads.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top