Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 9:45:08 PM EDT
Alright I sold My glock now I have the money available to by a 1911. I know it is going to be a Springfield and I know its going to have a 5 inch barrel. Just a few questions first. I saw this ad on  Gunbroker and I really like the looks of this gun. The only problem is I cant seem to find it on Springfields web site does anybody know if it is still made.

www.forthehunt.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4201923

Second whats the story with mags. are they all 7 rounds, becuase I see some .45s advertised 7 and others advertised 8. Do they mean 7 in the mag and one in the pipe. Or are they true 8 round mags. Are GI mags good?

I have not been this geeked about getting a gun since my AR-15. I just need to get the run down before buy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your (soon to be) new pistol.

I'm not really up to speed on all of Springfield's offerings, so I can't help you with your first question.

As for mags, you can get them in 7, 8, or even 10 round capacities.  I'd skip the 10 rounders, though.

Are GI mags any good?  Well, I've never been very fond of them, considering that there are much better mags available these days.  I personally prefer Wilson mags.  I've also heard good things about McCormick Shooting Star mags.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The 7 and 8 round mags will fit flush but the 10 rounders extend below the grip. A good quality 8 round mag such as the before mentioned Wilson work flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:38:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The 7 and 8 round mags will fit flush but the 10 rounders extend below the grip. A good quality 8 round mag such as the before mentioned Wilson work flawlessly.

True Dat....

If you lay them side by side you will notice that 7 and 8 rnd mags look identical, but that the 8 rnd mags have one more hole in the side.

I too use the Chip Mcormick mags and have had NO failures of any kind in my Kimber Classic Stainless.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Second whats the story with mags. are they all 7 rounds, becuase I see some .45s advertised 7 and others advertised 8. Do they mean 7 in the mag and one in the pipe. Or are they true 8 round mags. Are GI mags good?

The original M1911A1 magazines held seven rounds.  I think (?) that the magazines currently included with the Springfield pistols are the Chip McCormick style that hold eight rounds.  Wilson makes 7, 8 and 10 round magazines that are very popular.

Beware of imitation GI magazines.  

IMHO, the best deal in 1911 seven round magazines is the blue, welded-base, convex-follower 7-round mag made by Metalform.  You can buy them from Champion's Choice for about $11 each plus shipping.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:19:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Best pick up a copy of Dave Lauck's book "The Tactical 1911".

He suggests sticking with 7-round mags...but read the book to find out why.  Also, the best mag on the market is the Wilson #47 stainless.  About $23 a piece if you shop around, and buy about 3-5 at a time.

EDITED TO SAY...I think that "armory kote" finish may just be parkerizing with the OD color.  Not sure.  If so, that price isn't that big of a deal...especially when you throw in shipping, FFL fees, etc.  If it's a teflon finish...for $599 that'd be a good deal.  Better call Springfield and talk to someone (I'm sure there's an 800-number on their website).

Personally, I like blued guns, and would pick stainless over parkerized.  That's my personal preference though.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Just curious, have you considered a Kimber?  My Pro Elite is the most accurate 1911 I have ever shot.  It also digests every type of ammo I have fed it without a hiccup!  I'm not trying to rain on your parade, Springfield makes a wonderful product, but you should get other opinions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Springfield all ship with 7rnd mags. I have a MilSpec 1911A1 that I had to replace all the internals with Wilson Combat parts to get to shoot to my satisfaction, but for a $450 1911 that was fine. Also I have a Sprinfield Armory TRP with the Armory Kote and it is awesome right out of the box, no mods needed!! Excellent trigger, the Armory Kote is not just colored parkerizing.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Well its got the finish I want. I am actually not going to buy that pistol. I am going to my gun shop and telling them I want it and if they dont have they will order it for me.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well its got the finish I want. I am actually not going to buy that pistol. I am going to my gun shop and telling them I want it and if they dont have they will order it for me.

If thats what you wan then get it.

the pistol in the picture looks like the S/A loaded i carry. I paid $637 with tax for the gun, then another $225 for a two tone teflon finish.

I think the armory coat is a teflon finish.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 4:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I have Colt and Chip McCormick 8 rounds mags and they work fine. If you use 8 round mags you can carry 9, 8 in the mag and 1 in the chamber. I usuallly put 7 in them regardless of their capacity....some habits are hard to break
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Sixgun357 says:
The only problem is I cant seem to find it on Springfields web site does anybody know if it is still made.

I bought a stainless steel Springfield with every bell and whistle in a private sale a few years back. Couldn't find the pistol described on their web site, so I called SA with the serial number.

Turned out that the gun was factory stock the way I had it. It was an uncataloged item made in a run of 250 for Lew Horton (a big distributer). So apparently they'll do custom runs of specific configurations for distributors that will buy a large number of the gun. This might be something like that.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually I found it under Springfield new products. Looks pretty cool. The wife does not like the idea of green pistol. She likes pretty Stainless with black grips.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have stainless but I like that OD finish. I find the black rubber grips to be the best. They look better with wood though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Well I am pretty geeked now. I went to my local gunshop where I do a lot of Business. I looked at the 1911's and I decided on.....A kimber Strainless II. It was only $30 more than the stainless Sprinfield. They really had to twist my arm on that one. I really Like it. To bad I cant get it till Monday or Friday. Thanks to Michigans Purchase Permit issue.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had good luck with the chip mccormick mags I use the 8round for carry because it doesn't stick out and the 10round for home defense where an extra 1" doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Springfield 1911A1 Stainless Loaded with the target sights.  I slapped some Hogue cocobolo smooth wood panels on it, and damn she looks and feels fine!  She eats everything I feed her (only hiccuped a few times with some SWC's, and the recoil spring plug had a burr that caused it to bind on the full length guide rod)  

I actually got this one from a buddy.. he put a Sprinco recoil reducer in it, and that helps a little.  The trigger is SWEET... nice and light and crisp.  I doubletap with it if I'm not watching my trigger control.

It has some minor issues now, as per my post on the handguns forum.  The pin that holds the mainspring plunger is missing somehow.  I think it's the cause of the problem: The hammer will drop to half cock sometimes when the slide is closed on a round.  (never closed on an empty chamber... remember that... NEVER let it fly closed on and empty chamber!)  Need to find a replacement and fix her up.  Good thing is, a 1911 is not difficult to take apart and tinker with.  :)

oh, and for magazines, the Springfield should come with 2 Chip McCormick 7 rounders.  I had a couple 7 rounders before, can't remember what manf.  I also have 4 Chip McCormick 8 rounders, and they all work flawlessly.  I'd recommend them, or Wilson magazines, even though Wilson is a bit more pricey.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top