Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2002 7:59:06 PM EDT
Thumbing through a copy of "Guns of the Elite" by George Markham, noticed several photos of M16s with rather goofy looking upper receivers, seems to be a different type of forward assist, short knob projecting out of the rear most portion of the upper receiver, about 1.5-2" long, with what appears to be a forward assist button. Page 146 and 111 if you have the book, any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have that work in my reference library, but I can't locate it at the moment in this mess of accumulated knowledge...

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally found my copy. Never noticed that before. DEFINATELY different profile than the button on my M16A1/2 (Canadian pattern) upper. Must be because of the contract. (Contractor changed the profile, perhaps at the request of the using agency.) SAS guns, maybe? Since the nightscopes on page 146-147 are British......

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Those are not live weapons. They are Blanking firing models. If you look closely at the Guns in "FMJ", "Tour Of Duty".etc......... you'll see them  used as well.  When doing water OPS training you don't carry live weapons.  Most of the MP5, M4 and M16's you see in the hands of SEAL's etc... are plastic training models (Rubber Duckies) or blank firing models. Don't want to have to search miles of ocean bottom for lost live weapons.

The guns you are seeing, used to be sold by companies such as Collectors Armory
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Most likely they are staight pull training rifles.  There are a lot of people that have AR's over there without a gas tube and may have modified handles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most likely they are staight pull training rifles.  There are a lot of people that have AR's over there without a gas tube and may have modified handles.

It's not the charging handle that is different. The forward assist is not angled like on a normal AR-15/M16. It is PARALLEL to the side of the action. I can believe they are mock-ups of some kind. The one on page 146-147 has an Rank Pullin nightscope on it, and is from the archives of the Rank Pullin Company...

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top