Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 2:06:38 PM EDT
Gentlemen...
At around 3 pm today. My wifes uncle simply gave me his shotgun. <yep.. no reason given other than "I have no use for it" ...) .

I was with him when he bought it awhile back...

What I want now is to cut this baby down (since it was free).
what forms do I need to fill out and where do i get them,,, and where do they go to?
Ive read that the fees for this is ethier 5 or 200. this weapon did have a stock on it. I believe that matters some in what I will end up paying.

OK assuming paperwork + fee is done.. lets say I get atax stamp in the mail...

at that point can I just hacksaw the SOB, or sould I take it to a g-smith?

also it seems too easy .. let me know if my dream of an NFA weapon for a total of $200 (tax stamp)is possible..?

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Once you have your ducks in a row with BATF, just hacksaw the bugger. But WAIT! before you do that what kind of shotgun is it? Do you know what it may be worth? And how short are you going to cut it?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to TitleII.comand download a Form 1 (Application to Make and Register and NFA Firearm). The tax is $200 regardless of whether you make it a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS) or an Any Other Weapon (AOW) so you might as well just register it as an SBS. The tax only differs if you sell/transfer it in that it is $200 tax for an SBS and only $5 for an AOW. By registering it as an SBS you have the added versatility of a Buttstock. If you register it as an AOW then you can never attatch a buttstock to it without re-registering it and paying the $200 again.

Anyway, print the Form 1 out. Fill it out and make two copies. Send the original and 1 copy to the ATF with a check for $200. Keep one copy for your records (not required but nice to have to refer to). Wait forever (90-120 days+) for the ATF to approve your form and then mail it back to you with the Tax Stamp on it (looks kinda like a postage stamp) Once you receive the approved form (and not a moment before) then you can hack the barrel, or take it to a gunsmith, and/or depending on the manufacturer, you may be able to find a factory made short barrel that you can swap out.

Hope that help. Wish my state allowed SBS and SBR at least. We can have AOW's and Silencers but we can't use the silencers. Have to go to another approved state to use them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#3]
yaaaaaa,

first thyngs first, is the shotgun a collector item or worth more as is........??

if it is just a run of the mill side by side double, the next question is why do you want to fvck around getting the gvmnt. involved ??

just saw the damn thyng to a 1/2" over the "legal" 16" & square off & true up the ruff cut......, you don't need anythyng shorter than 16"

...............or is it 18".......??????

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yaaaaaa,

first thyngs first, is the shotgun a collector item or worth more as is........??

if it is just a run of the mill side by side double, the next question is why do you want to fvck around getting the gvmnt. involved ??

just saw the damn thyng to a 1/2" over the "legal" 16" & square off & true up the ruff cut......, you don't need anythyng shorter than 16"

Whoa! HOLD ON THERE! A Rifle must have atleast a 16" bbl. And be 26" OVERALL! A shotgun must have an 18" bbl and also be atleast 26" overall. Also barrel length is measured from a closed breach face to the end of the barrel or brake. A wooden dowell down the bore will work for this. Be careful doing this stuff make sure to dot the i's and cross the t's. This is the kind of crap that the feds justified killing Vickie Weaver, her Son and their Dog.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yaaaaaa,

Whoa! HOLD ON THERE! A Rifle must have atleast a 16" bbl. And be 26" OVERALL! A shotgun must have an 18" bbl and also be atleast 26" overall. Also barrel length is measured from a closed breach face to the end of the barrel or brake. A wooden dowell down the bore will work for this. Be careful doing this stuff make sure to dot the i's and cross the t's. This is the kind of crap that the feds used to justify killing Vickie Weaver, her Son and their Dog.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes, Shotguns are 18" Rifles are 16"

-Jared
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#7]
18" for a shotgun. 26" overall.

I did this with an old Fox Model B I picked up for $125 about 10 years ago. It had 28" barrels and was overall a pretty useless gun, so I cut it back to 19" (just to be on the safe side) and use it as a house gun.

Hacksaw, T-Square and a Dremel were all the tools needed.

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
a dremel is mighty handy for any kind of accesories for guns.. I had to shave down the sides of the washer that comes with the harris bipod so it would fit on my handguards
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the responses..

OK here goes.. as far as to what it is.. It is a Winchester model 1200.
Currently it is set up with a 24-26 inch barrel and its looks freaking retarded because about a year ago I bought him a pistal grip...  talk about stupid looking... but its mine now
As far as what lenth it will be ... looks like the shorest it can go is 13-14 inches.

Will this require " A chief LEO" sign off? if so can some let me in on how to go about this in the DFW area.. Dallas county.

what happens when you move.. do you need to tell them?

Thanks for the title II link.  I remember now that Ive seen it a hundred times but since it didnt concern me at the time it slipped my mind.

DarkHelmet, and every one else thanks for the info... is it just me or is all this a little intemadating?

Part of the application:

TAX PAID. Submit with your application a check or money order for $200 made payable to the Department of the Treasury. Upon approval of the application, this office will acquire, affix, and cancel the required “National Firearms Act: stamp for you

What does the bold part mean... why would they "cancel" your stamp?

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#10]
You took a hacksaw to a Fox Model B?!?!?!

You should be shot!!!

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]
When ATF cancels the stamp they write the serial number, or part of it on the face of the stamp.  This assures that the stamp that was on a transferable M-11/9mm doesn't get reused on, say, a previously unregistered M-60 at a later date.

Yes, it can be intimidating, but if you need to you can always have a C3 dealer help you with the application.  Most that I know wouldn't charge you for that since their goodwill may go a long way toward your next C3 purchase going through them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#12]
.........it's 18" for shotguns........!!!

yuppp..!! yore right..! but i got y'll a thynkin din'ti ??

i just measured the barrel on my 18 1/4" L.C.Smith double 12......
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Since we are all taking hack saws to shotgun. Would I need anypaper work to hack my Benelli barrel down to saw 19 inchs if the shotgun stays atleast 26 inches. I mean when my asshole brother cut the barrel down on a Ruger Red Label that was  limited to 1 of 500. He only wishes the ATF found becuase he was in a whole heap of shit when my dad found out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#14]

freshhoarse opinionated:

You took a hacksaw to a Fox Model B?!?!?!

You should be shot!!!

Don't confuse a Fox Model B (mass-market cheap SxS shotgun, worth about $250 in NIB condition) with an A.H Fox or Fox Sterling double gun (worth $$$$$ if in new condition).

Unless you have some unnatural attachment to the model B, they were and are inexpensive shotguns.

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you really want to spend the time and money for an NFA conversion of a Winchester 1200?  Even though the shotgun was free, you'll wind up with a gun that you'd have trouble selling for the $200 you spent on the tax stamp.

There are two problems with cutting down a pump action:

1) You wind up with the action taking up a significant portion of the overall length.  If you're going to pay Uncle Sam to get a short shotgun, why not start with a double to get a really short shotgun?

2) The hand on the forearm gets uncomfortably close to the muzzle.  It might not ever be a problem, but then again, a contact wound from a 12 gauge shell would be messy.

Just a little food for thought...    
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
OH! Whew - I thought you meant an A.H. Fox!

My mistake. Didn't mean to flame you there.
Well, actually I did, but I take it back
Sorry.

Tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top