Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 7:46:13 AM EDT
I love this rifle as a hunter (.270 Win), but would like to turn it into more of a tactical rifle.  
 I was thinking of converting it to .300 Win Mag, or some other larger caliber (any suggestions?).  

Also, I want to replace the wooden stock with something a little more durable and tactical (ie a pistol-gripped or thumbhole composite stock in matte black).  

Brownells has tons of crap for sale for the Savage 110...but I'm not sure where to even start.  Any hints from someone who knows more about the Savage 110 than I do (that would be almost anyone)?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, this thread is more popular than the ab-roller!  

Oh well...hopefully someone out there has attempted such a conversion before.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you really have a ton of money to spend, keep it stock and use it as a hunting weapon.I have a 270 Ruger and love it. It can shoot under 1" with handloads. But I went out and got a Remington PSS in 300 WM for a tac weapon. Cost MUCH LESS TO DO ! And now I have 2 rifles fro the price of the conversion alone.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#4]
You can buy a Savage 110FP for less than it would cost to build on your existing action.  Go to their wed site and look up what you want.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can buy a Savage 110FP for less than it would cost to build on your existing action.  Go to their wed site and look up what you want.

Good luck.

Well said.  You can buy a new 300 win mag for about $420.00.

Keep your hunting rifle and save up for 110FP
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
i saw a modified Savage 110, in .222Re. one tyme........

the tip of the cleaning rod come off in the barrel & the shooter did not check the bore before shooting, i was shooting at the position next to him......

he fired one shot from the rifle & checked the target, no hole, fired another round, still no hole, he fired a third shot, i looked over at him & said, there is somthyng wrong wyth your rifle, i just got sprayed wyth powder/lead particles..., then i noticed a shiny thyngy sticking out the muzzle, it was his aluminum cleaning rod...!!!

he threw the rifle down range & left, i took the rifle to a gun shop & the owner put it on display, as a warning to folks to ALWAYS check the bore prior to any shooting !!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top