Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 6:46:45 PM EDT
I NEED an fnfal. I have been looking at one at my local funstore. They're selling them for the price in the subject line. The cat said that they are made by either central, or century arms. Are these junk,and is the price fair? Opinions? Comments? Thanks. AB
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Century Arms

They would FAL's but 'NOT' FN FAL's.

Century and the like is not what I would buy there are certainly some that do.

A true FN FAL is a pre-ban rifle and will cost considerably more.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely at that price its a Century Arms one , so to make it short it can be a crap shoot on quality . But the only CAI made one I've seen was actually pretty good looking with bipod and all . SO my advise ... flip a coin .
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
There was just a post on here about how Century was now selling their FAL's for $299. So you might what to search around and see if you can find one cheaper.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#4]
They are being advertised as FN FAL. Yeah I know the real ones are WAY spendy! ( and REAL nice) I guess my question is, I want a good reliable semi in .308 for those long shots, any suggestions? Price IS an object. AB

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 2 Century Arms FAL's, an older Sporter L1A1 and a Hesse receivered Israeli lookalike built on a very good STG kit. They are as accurate and reliable as my much more expensive Azex Arms built FAL, they just don't look quite as good. I would go for one, there is not much that can go wrong with a FAL that cannot be fixed for $100 or less.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Israeli Military Industries also is selling FALs that are made off a US  receiver, I don't know if they are any good.

Aimless, where do you find these...couldn't see any on the imi website or on the US distributor's site (Magnum Research).

Thanks much.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There was just a post on here about how Century was now selling their FAL's for $299. So you might what to search around and see if you can find one cheaper.....

Those are Cetme's-which are an early ancestor of the HK 91, not a FAL.

I would agree that the FAL you are looking at for $ 499 is a Century rifle. I'd bet it is NOT an FN, check the receiver.  If you can find an FFL to bring a gun in for you for the transfer fee of $ 25ish you can get one from Southern Ohio Gun-www.southernohiogun.com/surplus_rifles.html for $ 389. Call SOG and ask 'em what their guarantee is. The apparently guarantee their guns, so if it's a dog they will fix it or take it back. I have never bought from them, but have heard they are okay.

Israeli Military Industries also is selling FALs that are made off a US  receiver, I don't know if they are any good.

You are either going to end up with
1. a Century FAL and take some risk that it's a dog, but maybe SOG will take care of you if it is.
2. or spend $ 800 and get a FAL from DSA that will be fine right out of the box.

If cash is a consideration, I'd go with #1.

$800 is in range. I am not familiar with DSA. How can I contact them? Thanks. AB
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]

$800 is in range. I am not familiar with DSA. How can I contact them? Thanks. AB

www.dsarms.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#11]
albob,
$800 is dealer cost without shipping.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I could see buying a Century FAL for mid $400s. IF and only IF it was build on an Imbel receiver. Century has build FALs on Imbels (best bet) Hesse (worst bet) and now are producing their own (middle bet). If you can look at the quality and build I would see paying $50+ for that compared to taking a crap shoot and saving $50 but then having to fix it or send it back.
If it looks good and is build on an Imbel buy it.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]
SOG is also selling the world's ugliest shotgun:

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If you look deeper in to most things you can find some beauty. [pretty barrel, nice tigger ect.]
Unless it is a human and then some are just rotten to the core

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:01:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure thats a shotgun? I mean it looks like the magazine is inserted into the pistol grip. Thats either one tiny magazine for one tiny shell or one huge grip for the 2 3/4 inch shells.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Aimless, www.falparts.com/firearms.asp is the place.  Price looks great.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you all for your input! Now I'll attempt to hijack my own thread. Armalite. I really like these alot. Any comments? AB
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top