Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 3:53:48 PM EDT
I have decided to get an AR type rifle but I can't decide what model. I would like a good home defense rifle so maybe the shorty. But I also would like something similar to the military's issue rifle to get familiar with them before PLC so maybe the fullsize. Also I like the M4's because hopefully when the brady bill sunshines I can swap out the fake tele stock for a real one. What do you all think would best fit my needs?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have decided to get an AR type rifle but I can't decide what model. I would like a good home defense rifle so maybe the shorty. But I also would like something similar to the military's issue rifle to get familiar with them before PLC so maybe the fullsize. Also I like the M4's because hopefully when the brady bill sunshines I can swap out the fake tele stock for a real one. What do you all think would best fit my needs?

You don't have to get the M4 to switch out the stocks...you can do that on any AR.

For home defense and plinking use, I recommend the 16" flat top.  Accuracy is there out to 200 yards or more, and with the flat top you can mount any optics or rear sight that you wish.  The 16" barrel would be short enough to clear rooms in your home easily.

Personally, I like the HBAR barrels best, as the y seem to be the most accurate overall.  But, that's a personal preference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want something for home defense get a handgun.  5.56/223 is not a cartridge well suited for this roll.  I would recommend a BM M4 as it offers the best weight/size/barrel length IMO.  I also would'nt buy anything with the idea of converting to a preban configuration after '04 as the laws will probably not change.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend the Olympic Arms FAR-15 lightweight. It weighs less than 5 lbs so you can shoot it with one hand while dialing 911 with the other ;)
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If your going to use it for home defense, DON'T get anything in .223. Unless of course your neighbors are like a mile or two away from you and you live alone.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If your going to use it for home defense, DON'T get anything in .223. Unless of course your neighbors are like a mile or two away from you and you live alone.

If you are suggesting that the 5.56 overpenetrates, and poses an major threat to nearby neighbors, you're mistaken.

Start here, and read down.

You'll see that 5.56 actually is less prone to inflicting injuries after penetrating a wall than even a 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Actually, .223 penetrates less than most handgun rounds and less than large buckshot.  I'd have no trouble with it for home defense.  If the dogs don't get 'em first...

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
If I got the shorty or M4 would it be a big adjustment in the military with their M16 and would I be at an advantage or disadvantage?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
That Q&A is very informative.
However, I still have my doubts.
I'd like to do some "hands on research."
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Punching steel plates and penetrating sheetrock/etc. is not the same thing. In building material, high-velocity rounds are able to tumble as they should, and thus fragment. This reduces penetrating. Tests have been done. This has been confirmed. Just do a search for old threads on .223 for home defense....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
From My point of view you are leaning toward the 16" bbl, which I would applaud BECAUSE is is harder to shoot.  Shoot the shorter site length distance as practice and the military version will be a piece of cake do to the training you took with the identical weapons platform with a shorter site raidius...

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Save up and get the 20" inch Steyr AUG - shorter than the 16"CAR and much more reliable.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 2:56:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The 16" in a flattop would be a good all around choice.For home defense you'd probably want to put a Aimpoint or similear on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top