User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 3:33:17 PM EDT
http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976045407.htm

Singer 1911...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's real, then whatever you can get for it is what it is worth. These are very rare.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not paying 26000 bucks for something i wont shoot..

hey aimless whats #1? in values
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmm... my Dad passed down his modest gun collection to me, and it included five (5) WWII era 1911 pistols that are all marked "S. MFG CO." and "ELIZABETH N.J. U.S.A." on the slide. All numbers match, and they are all in LN but original condition. He is also a long retired executive of the Singer company, out of Elizabeth NJ. I wonder if these could be Singer 1911's? They are consecutive serial numbered, and very low (less than #25). Anybody know how a Singer was marked? I really don't think they are Singers, as they don't say Singer anywhere. They are also blued, rather than parked like most 1911 pistols of that era, so I really don't think they are Singers, but one can dream...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Slag,

Uh, FIND OUT WHAT YOU GOT!!!!!!!!!

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
slag--

If you are serious then you are sitting on a small fortune. The only flaw in your story is that I believe the Singer serial numbers were like S800001 to S800500.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#8]
slag:

Below image is from Ken  Hallock’s  “Hallock’s .45 Auto Handbook”, page 85 – marked up a bit by me.  

Kinda sounds like you might have some “lunch box specials” that were liberated from the factory before SN’s were assigned (though I’d think that normally the SN would be stamped before the pistol was finished).  The two digit numbers you’re looking at might be assembly numbers.

Check for the Inspector's initials (circled in red on drawing), which should be JKC for Lt. Col. John Christmas.

Sounds like you’ve definitely got something!!

Edited to add that maybe these were prototypes that, say, were maybe intended to check out production techniques and were never intended to leave the factory.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Is it also possible that Singer made more slides that were used on M1911A1s manufactured by other companies or as replacements during rebuilds?

But $26,000? I guess I'll just have to be happy with my 1943 Union Switch & Signal M1911A1 that cost me $700.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:08:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I pulled them out of the back of the safe, and they are serial #S8000xx. But like I said earlier, they are not marked "Singer" on them anywhere, so I really don't think they are Singers. In any case, they have no monetary value, as I don't sell firearms, just accumulate them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
slag,

it just says S_MFG CO. That is it. They don't Say "SINGER"

Ben
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I pulled them out of the back of the safe, and they are serial #S8000xx. But like I said earlier, they are not marked "Singer" on them anywhere, so I really don't think they are Singers. In any case, they have no monetary value, as I don't sell firearms, just accumulate them.

Holy crap, I think your monetary value just went up a bit.

If I was you....I sure as hell wouldn't sell 'em.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#14]
slag,

got digi-pics?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#15]
It is highly probably given the evidence stated that these are in fact Singers.  If so your best course of action is to contact southby's, butterfields or other reputable auction house and have a professional appraisal done.  These would need to be listed separately on your insurance due to extreme value.  Failing to do this would simply be foolish whether you intended to sell or not.  At some point the money may be important and sitting on a couple hundred grand without protection is about as smart as stuffing cash in a mattress.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is highly probably given the evidence stated that these are in fact Singers.  If so your best course of action is to contact southby's, butterfields or other reputable auction house and have a professional appraisal done.  These would need to be listed separately on your insurance due to extreme value.  Failing to do this would simply be foolish whether you intended to sell or not.  At some point the money may be important and sitting on a couple hundred grand without protection is about as smart as stuffing cash in a mattress.

Slag---

He is absolutly right. Get them appraised and insured. By the way, where exactly do you live?
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I have moved them to my bank's safe deposit box, based on you guys thinking they might be Singers. I will also arrange for an appraisal to be done. I carefully examined one of them last nite. Completely broke it down, and not a single part was marked "Singer". One would think that you could find at least 1 part marked Singer, if these are indeed Singer pistols. Time will tell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top