Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 10:01:56 AM EDT
last weekend i went to the toy show to get a new stock for my m1, and found a nice one for $50. but my friend got hung up at the mil-surp table, and we both bought VZ-24s and 250 rds of 8mm ammo. While not a kar98 or even a yugo '48, it IS a czech mauser, possibly used by the germans in ww2. naturally we took them to the range immediately, and they shot ok.

ive cleaned the bore twice, and it's looking pretty shiny, but i'll clean it again (and again) till it comes clean. the exterior metal has some pitting and the crest is ground off, but it's functional. the wood, well, the wood is filthy and covered with dings. simple green and a scotchbrite pad and lots of elbow grease will help, but it'll never look like new.

after i got it home, i decided it's not really what i wanted, which is a kar98 or yugo 48, and i decided to sell the vz. but i'm coming to appreciate it's sleek lines and simple operation and now i'm thinking of keeping it and saving up for the k98/y48. what to do?

where do i get the funky wrenches to remove the stock?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Alright I may catch some grief for this (Bubba who?) but what about sporterizing it? You really want to go to the trouble of selling it? They don't really go for much.

There are a few choices out there besides the typical wood or matte synthetic. Choate has a stock in camo and there is the new scout stock (seen a steyr scout?) for a different look. You could always clean up the metal and re-blue it as well. Viola! New rifle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:51:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of us do that sort of thing--look at
http://www.98mauser.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Some of us do that sort of thing--look at
http://www.98mauser.com

No offense mate but... That site sucks. Someone needs to do a good site and do some justice for the Bubbas out there. Myself included.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Did oyu check headspace before shooting?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top