Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2002 8:37:49 AM EDT
Well the other night a family member brought up the subject of guns while looking at my target in the backyard, and asks me how I can be around something that "kills so many people in this country" she happens to be in the medical field and I ask her how she can be around doctors because they kill far more people than guns, she said yeah right thats not true so help me out here are there any pages that show the number of accidental deaths by doctors vr guns?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You might start with the AMA's own website.  Search there or on the rest of the web for "medical misadventure," code for "when doctors screw up."
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Per the U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services

Number of physicians in the US = 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year = 120,000
Accidental deaths per physician = 0.171

Per the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms

Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) 1,500
Accidental deaths per gun owner = 0.0000188
Therefore, doctors are 9,120 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Greg, go to WWW.NRA.ORG. They have a research section that has all of these types of facts. But in the long run don't argue it is a waste of time. Take her shooting if you can. That is the only way to hook an anti when their mind is made up. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
How about deliberate death and accidental/deliberate permanent injury by guns?  How do they compare?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
1911greg, be sure to post her response when she hears the truth.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Duhh!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I totally agree mike103. It really is the easiest way.

But if you need more backup, I think you should think more along these lines....

Don't try to compair actidential guns deaths to car death and medical deaths.

The common aurgument is, "Yea but we NEED cars, we don't NEED guns".

Or "We NEED medical doctors, no matter how high the risk, people need to be fixed".

The real aurgument is proving to people why we need firearms.
We all on this board say, DUH!!
But the anti's really don't get it.

We need to protect ourselves from ourselves, protect ourselves from overpowering government, and also need to protect ourselves from other countries.  (Yea I'd love to see another country mount a massive over-sea attack and have enough resources to fight our military and armed sob's like us fellow ar15.com'ers)

A large body of our secioty has gotten so caught up in this modern age, we have forgotten where we came from. We cannot forget our roots.
History has always gone full circle, why are we only seeing 180 degree views?

So anyways, this is the aurgument you need to have before you say, "OK now lets go practice, trips on me friend".

4 out of 5 will be back.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Like mike 103 said == Take her shooting with a 22 and some fun targets.  Just hand her the paper to read and let he make up her own mind.  And show her how fun it is to shoot.

Nothing ruins a good story like the other side.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
off to the range with you!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Start with this article from CNN.com (there are more on that site & other news sites as it was BIG news last year)

www.cnn.com/1999/HEALTH/12/08/schiff.chat/index.html

Note this is comming from an anti-gun / liberal news agency - and they still quote 44,000 deaths per year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Ask her why what doctor's do is called practice?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
We need cars but we DON'T need guns?

What kind of car does she drive?  Will it go over 65mph?  If so, why does she NEED a car capable of traveling faster than the speed limit unless she's PLANNING on breaking the law?

Cars kill more people than guns do.  Excess speed plays a huge part in the number of accidental auto deaths each year.  It's a fact.  How many lives will be saved if we ban the sale and possession of cars capable of speeding?

The truth is that people like her are only interested in saving lives if OTHER PEOPLE have to make sacrifices.  They themselves have absolutely NO INTENTION of making any kind of sacrifice regardless of how many lives it would save.  

I've stopped arguing with people like this.  They're not interested in truth--they just want to feel good about themselves.  If they have a problem with the law, then tell 'em to contact their elected representative.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]
funny thing is she drives a ford exploder which probably has killed more people in the last few years than the AR15.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#14]
She'll probably make some BS excuse about "It's not the Explorer that kills people, it's the TIRES."

Anything they can use for an excuse, they will. Most of the time, it makes no sense whatsoever.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I read a while back that there is a statistic showing that EVERY 3 SECONDS a crime is prevented in the U.S. with a firearm either being "presented" or fired.  I would have to assume that the statistic only covers REPORTED incidences, so I am sure it's higher than that.

Ironically, anti-firearm sentiment is really only strong in the liberal strongholds...you got it, urban cities.  Of course, that's where guns are needed most for protection.

I remember reading a US Dept. of Justice report back in 1990 that stated something like in 90% of all home break-ins, the perpetrator had a lethal weapon in his/her possession.  Now, if they think to bring it...you think they are willing to use it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top