Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 3:03:48 PM EDT
I have ended up with a little pocket holster that is not quite right for the gun intended for it.  I have heard vague referrences to wet-molding a holster to alter its shape.

Anyone know anything about this, or how I can alter my little holster a bit to fit my gun?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
c'mon guys -- help, help, help.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]

If its a leather holster here's what you do.  Oil up the gun (or wrap it in plastic), dunk the holster in warm water and then jam the gun in it.  When it dries it will be from fitted.

Simple.

Don't worry you won't ruin the holster, remember cows live outdoors.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Well hell, that sounds simple enough...gun is stainless NAA 380 so no worries.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
And spray the holster down with WD-40 AFTER you get it fitting right to give it a nice shiny look.. my work boots look almost brand new after 2 years of abuse
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ah, as a holster maker I have to say there's a little more to it.

Don't wrap the gun in plastic, since this will make the finished holster too loose.

Apply a thin coat of lube to the gun.
Using either alcohol, or warm water with a bit of liguid soap as a wetting agent, wet the holster until JUST damp, NOT soaking wet.
Allow it to stand for a few minutes, until it is softened.  This is called "caseing" the leather.  When it feels cool to the touch, but not wet, it's ready.  With light colored leather, when it return to it's natural color, and still feels cool, it's ready.

Put the gun into the holster and gently press the leather around the gun with your fingers, molding it around the frame and cylinder. (Clean hands or it will stain the leather).

REMOVE THE GUN, and allow the holster to dry in a cool place on clean paper towel. Don't allow anything to come in contact with it until dry since this will either stain it, or leave marks in the leather.  Don't try to force dry with heat or direct sunlight.

Apply whatever leather dressing you like.

Since rawhide is the only leather that shrinks when wet, leaving the gun in the holster will cause the holster to be looser, not snugger.

One of the best holster final finishes is Fibeing's Resolene.  It's a glossy, water proof top coat that actually stays put.  It won't crack and peel like most others, and seals dyed leather.  Apply one coat only, with sheepskin or airbrush, and force dry with a hair dryer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top