Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2002 2:16:52 PM EDT

Kimber
it looks like a neat little carry gun.(better than my .38 Taurus)
any comments?
I am concerned the alloy frame will not have a long service life.what can I expect?
I would like to get 5000 rounds out of the gun. is this reasonable?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
i selected it because of the night sights, ambi-safety and target trigger.  i plan to mount a set of laser grips on it.  i have a set on my taurus and they will let me shoot head shots at 30 yds.  i hope to get the same accuracy from this gun.  as for the melt... this will be a pocket pistol and even thou i have big pockets i think smaller is better.
thanks,
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Got one.......love it!!....get one.

Very comfortable to shoot, accurate enough...and damnit it just looks cool.

I believe there is some info on the Kimber website discussing their alloy frames.  They say they have shot one of these guns 20,000 times with "no measurable evidence of wear" to the frame. I have only put about a 1000 - 1500 through mine, so I can't comment on down the road wear, but mine just has a little polishing of the frame where it contacts the slide.

Good luck.

Edited to add that I do not have a "II" model, so can't comment on any of the new features of the safety system.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have an Ultra CDP, I have a Compact CDP.

I think the Kimber CDP line is great. They seem to be well made. My compact has less muzzle rise than a full size Springfield Loaded model. Shoots very nicely.

Couple of negatives;

My CDP had a problem with the slide locking back prematurely. Not always, but enough to be a problem. I have read that this is a frequent problem with Kimbers do to the fact that the slide lock sets back just a skosh compared to most 1911s. I fixed it by sanding just a touch off the face of the slide lock so that it could not get pushed up by the random bouncing bullet nose during firing.

The double spring set up on the ultra may work great, but you better order a spare set now, because you don't find them sitting on the shelf of your local gun shop.

The firing pin safety on the series II Kimbers have caused faiures to fully chamber rounds in some guns. Might want to read up on them before you buy one. You may be better off with an older model.

That last bit is internet heresay, not experience. But I do remember a bit of a stink about it on another forum.

This may or may not be a place to look.
www.pistolsmith.com/index.php
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had a first series Ultra CDP for about 2 years now. Hands down, the nicest factory .45 I have ever had and I carry it every single day. Matter of fact, the G27 I used to carry now sits in the safe and has done so ever since I got the Kimber.

Trigger is awesome, Grip is sweet, 3" barrel, ambi safety, tons of factory custom work, and all for under $900 out the door. Just doesn't get any better.

If you are looking for the one .45 that you will carry all the time and can depend on, look no further.

Did I mention that I LOVE mine???????
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#6]
sub $900.00
the gun shop here in houston wants $1050.00 plus tax.

sounds like i need to do some shopping.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Hit Gunbroker....may find a deal once in awile.

Remember to add about $50 to the price for shipping and ffl transfer for comparison purposes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#8]
also check out the ultra eclipse, it is a beauty for looks and in action, and i think it is all stainless, grips are outstanding.

i love my kimbers.

the 1050 sounds like list. shop around, you should be able to pick one up for 850-900, around 950 for the eclipse.

close to 2k rounds on my ultra cdp, no noticeable wear.

have both ultra's and ultra II's, no problem with the new safety, ymmv.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
i picked up my Ultra CDP today.
man is it nice.
i fired 100 rounds of remington UMC 230 ball with one malfunction.
a round in the magazine locked back the slide.  But a couple licks with a file should fix this problem.  group size was 5"DIA at 15 yds offhand but groups placed almost a foot to the left of center.  this may be me pulling the gun  but not good if you need to shoot head shots.  UMC was the only ammo brand tested.  I picked up a couple boxes at the gun shop but i will practice and test a couple more types later.  

thanks for the advice.
i do not regret spending the extra money and it get's me out of the .357 cal. pocket pistol class.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I also have a Kimber Ultra CDP.....Love It!
I've Shot around 250rds with no problems at all. I use the Kimber mag and a couple of Wilsons. I had owned a Colt, Springfield, Para-Ord, now just the Kimber CDP, Kimber Classic Stainless & Kimber 22 Conversion....Love all 3 of them!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
a local gunsmith moved the sights and those head shots come easy now!
400 rounds and only the one malfunction.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#13]
My wife carries a Series 1 Ultra CDP, and I have a Series II Ultra Shadow, and both have functioned flawlessly. The only thing I have done to them is to put a set of Red and black carbon fibre grips on hers and blue and black on mine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I had one and liked it but it would not eat my reloads. I have always been told little guns like that can be very finicky for ammo. I traded it in for a compact Wilson all black protector last fall. Its a 4" barrel which is a little bigger but it eats all kinds of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I dunno, I kinda go along with the "bigger is better" maxim when it comes to carry guns.  But you ain't gonna put this baby in your pocket

My Springfield Operator:

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:40:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a Springfield Ultra Compact...and am assuming this Kimber is the same size.

Personally, I didn't like it because it was actually LESS COMFORTABLE TO CARRY than my full-sized Government 1911.  I carry strong-side IWB, and that little barrel/slide would dig into my hip something fierce whereas the 5" is more down the leg.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Kimber unless I practically stole it and could turn around and make some money on it quickly.  BUT...I won't go on my Kimber rant as I am sure people are tired of it.

I will agree with the sentiment of "Better to have [insert gun make/caliber here] than nothing at all."
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
just wanted to give you guys an update!
1000 rounds and the gun still looks new.
no gauling on the frame and she only had the origional malfunction.

i am now saving for her big sister
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#19]
SWEET! I sooooo want a CDP! I really want the Pro CDP with the 4" barrel and the full size grip. The CDP is about the only 1911 I would consider buying. It has all the bells and whistles you could want in a defensive pistol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#20]
i added the wilson combat extended slide release.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top