Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 11:38:00 AM EDT
I was thinking of getting one of those cheap yugo sks rifles with a 10rd fixed mag, then putting a folding stock on it and making a handy rifle out of it something I could keep in my truck or take with me camping? Under the assault weapon ban it looks like only weapons with detachable mags are affected so as long as I have a fixed mag I am ok???
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think thats correct.. but don't you live in the krazy kalifornia? might be different there
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 2:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll rain on your parade and say that I do NOT think it would be legal. Ask on the AK side of this site to be sure.

AK Weapons Forum
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
No you cannot do that.  The SKS is an imported rifle so it comes under a different set of rules (that are more strict - and were based on a 1989 G.W. Bush Executive Order) as well as the 1994 crime bill.

Here is the info from the BATF website, pay particular attention to the last paragraph (you did check there first right?)

18 U.S.C. 922(r) makes it unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of the GCA. Regulations implementing the law in 27 C.F.R. 178.39 provide that a violation of section 922(r) will result if a semiautomatic rifle or shotgun is assembled with more than 10 of the following imported parts:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings, or stampings

(2) Barrels

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)

(5) Muzzle attachments

(6) Bolts

(7) Bolt carriers

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers

(12) Hammers

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors

(15) Buttstocks

(16) Pistol grips

(17) Forearms, handguards

(18) Magazine bodies

(19) Followers

(20) Floorplates

Section 922(r) does not prohibit the importation, sale, or possession of parts which may be used to assemble a semiautomatic rifle or shotgun in violation of the statute. However, 18 U.S.C. § 2 provides that a person who aids or abets another person in the commission of an offense is also responsible for the offense. Therefore, a person who sells parts knowing that the purchaser intends to use the parts in assembling a firearm in violation of section 922(r) would also be responsible for the offense.

It should be noted that a violation of section 922(r) may result even if the assembled rifle or shotgun does not meet the definition of "semiautomatic assault weapon" in the GCA. For example, a person who assembled an SKS rifle with a folding stock and fixed magazine would violate section 922(r), since the SKS would have more than 10 of the imported parts specified in the regulation. However, the SKS rifle with a fixed magazine would still not be regulated as a "semiautomatic assault weapon."

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Uh, guys, it's legal, even in CaliBan.

The law states a detachable mag or a fixed mag over 10 rounds...... The only problem with yugos is the grenade launcher but if you look you can find them with it removed so it can come into the state. Look it up on the CA DOJ web site, be sure to make a copy of the appropriate sections to show potential FFLs because many of them are unsure as well.

Forest's post is correct for an imported folding stock, if it's a truck gun, buy an American made folder.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Uh, guys, it's legal, even in CaliBan.

Forest's post is correct for an imported folding stock, if it's a truck gun, buy an American made folder.

No it doesn't matter WHERE your stock was made (note the BATF doesn't differentiate)you will still be over the 10 foreign made part count. (BTW by my count I get at least 13 foreign made parts on a SKS w/o the stock & if you replace the forearm with a US made ventilated steel one)

Why do you think they no longer make them?

Unless you replace enough of the foriegn parts with US made parts you cannot have a folding stock.  No domestic manufacturere I am aware of makes the needed SKS parts.

Note there ARE manufacturers of AK parts - they replace enough of the parts on the imported rifles to classify them as "American Rifles" so they only fall under the AW ban.  That is why  you now have pistol gripped AKs (their 1 'evil' part).
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest,

How did Dubya issue an executive order in 1989?

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top