Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 9:54:01 AM EDT
Just finished cleaning my new bushy. Noticed small dings and scratches in a circular motion on the buffer. Is this normal? Have fired only about 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Cant tell for sure with out looking at it but it is probably from the bolt.  Keep in mind that the bolt slams into the buffer each time the gun is fired.  The buffer/spring then pushes the bolt forward to strip the next round.

So yea, its normal.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The buffer has a distinct ring in it from where the bolt/carrier contacts it. The rough area I am talking about is coming from the retaining pin that holds the buffer and spring in.Making small gouges in the buffer. I guess If I shoot it enough it will "wear" into the buffer face?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I just went and looked at one of mine.  I have well over 10,000 rounds thru it.  The buffer has the ring from the bolt and a bunch of line scratches from that retaining pin.  If I remember correctly the buffer once had a differant color to it on the face which has long since worn away.

Keep in mind that the buffer is still slamming into that pin so I think this is all normal.  I don't forsee me haveing any problems with the wear on my buffer any time soon.  If it does wear out replacements are cheap.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Your welcome.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have, we are here to help.  Also you may want to check out the "Articles" link at the top of the page, then look for manuals.  It is very imformative and explains just about every aspect of the AR15 rifle.

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top