Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2002 4:47:19 PM EDT
Anyone else have this hair-brain idea.  The mags are basically the same, except the mini has a narrower section on the upper front section of the mag.  The receiver is narrow at that section to accommodate the mags.  This narrow section is additional steel, which could be milled out.  In addition, that required little hole could be drilled in the mag back.

The reason being, AR mags are more reliable and available, and the Caliban still allow minis.

Anyone ever try this?

Link Posted: 6/3/2002 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
im sure doing that wouldnt really end up being worth the $150 extra for an AR. especally if you ruined a mini and sevral mags tryin to make it work. doesnt the caliban ban all hi caps anyhow?
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Too "trick" to be reliable.  I looked into this myself when I had (note the past tense) a mini.  Was a nice one, too, Douglas barrel, glass bedding, laminate stock.  But, the mags would just have been too fussy to be easy to put in.  The real problem is the hole system of locking in the front of the magazine. The purpose of the magazine is a quick reload, not fumbling to get it to seat properly.  I'd say do it if you really want to be a hobby-machinist.  Otherwise, sell the mini and get a decent AR.  BTW, the other weak point in a mini is the receiver itself.  IT will stretch over time, and could be a problem in as little as 20,000 rounds, give or take.  Even if you don't shoot that much (think hom many you would need if you want to be proficient, not just a plinker), it says something.  SOmeone once commented to me that "Bill Ruger was a machinist, not a gunsmith."  Dunno.

And, if someone is under the PRKaliban, maybe one of those FAB (make/model ?) lowers which supposedly are legal there would allow you to shoot a decent AR top, while the good lower is in hiding for when needed (of course, I mean in a locker in NV).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top