Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 2:13:41 PM EDT
I was at my aunt's house for a going away party for my cousin who just got her orders and is headed to Belgium for three and 2/3 years. Anyhow, I fired my aunt's Winchester lever action in .357 magnum and it sparked a debate- What's the law in NY reguarding the purchase of pistol ammo? I thought that all you need is to be 21, but my dad thought that you needed a pistol permit, while someone else thought you needed Both. Does anyone know for sure? BTW, that little rifle is cool as hell! It handles very well and is very manuverable and accurate. I gotta get me one of those!
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've been getting grief from gunshops over this for about a year. They claim that you now have to show that you have a pistol in the caliber for the ammo you are buying, IF there is no long gun in that caliber. I have seen this posted several places, but didn't find it right away when I tried to look it up just now.

In any event .357 should be fine because there are plenty of .357 carbines. I had a numbnuts refuse to sell me 10mm because "they never made a rifle in that" -duh, try again gunshop boy.

If I can find the stupid law I will post it.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe NYS law requires a pistol license for sale of pistol ammo.  However, I have frequently used the excuse that the .357, 44 mag or 9mm is for a rifle rather than displaying my permit.

You should check with NYS Rifle and Pistol, but as long as the ammo is for a rifle it shouldn't be a problem.

Stupid, huh?
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I buy pistol ammo with no questions.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#5]
My local gun shop will sell pistol ammo to people 18 and older but like Kmart or Walmart you have to be 21 to buy ammo... This is mississippi also
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Although NYS law does require that you display a pistol license, whether or not its needed really depends on what part of NYS you're in:

Upstate NY: Rarely will you be asked to produce a pistol permit.

NYC: Fuggetaboutit! You must show your pistol permit which indicates you own a handgun of the same pistol caliber as the ammo you are purchasing, not to mention fingerprints, stool and urine samples, passport, etc.., etc...

NNassau/Suffolk County: Displaying your pistol license is required to purchase pistol ammo but they rarely ask.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#7]
In NYC you can only buy ammo for the pistol on your permit. I do not know how they handle ammo for rifles in a pistol caliber. There is no such requirement in any other part of the state of New York. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally this (pistol and rifle) ammo was solely at the discretion of the FFL dealer himself. The law stated that you have to be 18 to purchase ammo. A couple of years ago they changed the handgun age from 18 to 21 and stated in the legislation that the age for ammo should be the same.

You can always solve this problem by getting an AR pistol

JerrY

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top