Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2002 1:43:12 PM EDT
Ok, I just zapped my thread about the HK93 because it is too darn much money for a .223.

I have 800.00 saved for a new gun, plus two Sigmas (SW9V SW40C) that I am going to trade/sell.

With the proceeds I want to purchase a new gun.  Carbines preferred.

There seems to be nothing 'cool' in this price range.

I already own one 'unique' gun.  My DR200.  Everything else I own is pretty much run of the mill stuff.

I have looked at the USC45 but with a 950.00 price tag, no hi caps, etc it is hard to make it my next toy.

The SL8 was something I considered until I heard too many similar complaints.

I have 800-1200 to spend.  I want something fun to shoot, cheap to feed, and unique.

I have thought about a FAL, but admit I know nothing about them.  

Suggestions?  Advice?

TheRedGoat

Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the links.  SA58 looks like it meets the coolness requirement.  Might be a little out of my price range, but certainly worth looking into.

FAL... hmmm...

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for the links.  SA58 looks like it meets the coolness requirement.  Might be a little out of my price range, but certainly worth looking into.

FAL... hmmm...

TheRedGoat

The STG58 should be the best buy.  Dealer invoice is $799  & you can find them for $800-950.

Precision Armory is in Spring or Magnolia TX  N/NW of Houston & he's usually at the big gun shows.  
He had a STG58 carbine for $949 this weekend at the Relaint Hall show.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 3:53:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FAL... hmmm...

TheRedGoat

The STG58 should be the best buy.  Dealer invoice is $799  & you can find them for $800-950.

Precision Armory is in Spring or Magnolia TX  N/NW of Houston & he's usually at the big gun shows.  He had a STG58 carbine for $949 this weekend wt the Relain Hall show.

Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]

I have 800-1200 to spend. I want something fun to shoot, cheap to feed, and unique.

If you have a friendly FFL, call DSA direct, buy the STG58 and an ass-load of 20 rnd mags and don't look back.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Might I suggest an SAM7 from Arsenal bulgaria.  About $650 with 10 mags and a case of ammo that should put you at $800 out the door. Its neet, well made, and will wamp the tar outa those little piggies.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]
How about a post-ban (or pre-ban) AR-Style 9mm?

I think you could spend about $800-$1200 to build your own, or locate a post-ban Colt.

Tip: locate magazines first, then buy the 9mm upper and trigger parts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Might I suggest The Eagle Arms AR-10 (Generic Armalite baby) 20' flat top with flat top weaver gas block. then Stick you a Harris BR pod under the handguards grab up a Scope and mount of your choice, and your in business.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I would suggest a Daewoo K2 side folder to go with that DR200 thumbhole model.  The most common price I see for clean ones at shows and shops is $1200 with a few accessories.  I saw one yesterday in Houston with the factory scope mount mags and case for that price from an individual.  I saw a similar one at a shop two weeks ago also for $1200.  Have the barrel shortened to 16 1/4" overall with the flash hider and you would have a nice little package with the stock folded.  You already have all the spare parts.  If you need to you could sacrafice the DR200 years down the road, canabalize it if needed.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I highly recommend either the DS/STG58 or SA-M7S. Either way, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
 TRG, when my FAL comes in, I will bring to ETH's farm so you can shoot it.  Also if you have time go to www.falfiles.com for more info.
BTW, for FAL, new mags are 10 for $90.00 at Tapco. 308 ammo ranges between $129.00/1000rds to $150.00/1000rds.  As far as brands are concerned:  Port., Hirt., Santa Barbara, South Africa, Radway, are all good plinking ammo.  FAL can eat  almost any ammo, very reliable.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey, the FAL is one kick ass rifle. If you already have an AR and an AK variant, I say go for it. And like everyone says, Mags are cheaper than a thai whore as of right now. And .308 ammo is readily available from match to mil-surplus. Its a good steady round, and with the proper tweaking and ammo, you CAN hit sub-moa with that FAL. (Not that i've been able to pull it off yet.. )

haha, I thought Id never see anyone else with a S&W sigma. What you think of them? I'm figuring since ur selling them they're not too great. I made the mistake of buying one for my first pistol. Shoulda gotten a glock, but it was oh so cheap.
Anyway, RedGoat, would you happen to have any preban 17 round mags for the Sigma 9mm? I'd be interested in buying. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
haha, I thought Id never see anyone else with a S&W sigma. What you think of them? I'm figuring since ur selling them they're not too great. I made the mistake of buying one for my first pistol. Shoulda gotten a glock, but it was oh so cheap.
Anyway, RedGoat, would you happen to have any preban 17 round mags for the Sigma 9mm? I'd be interested in buying. Thanks

I have a S&W Sigma. Its the ONLY semi-auto that my mom could pull the slide back (Glocks have a stronger spring)... (bedsides the Lady Smith, but if it was going to be mine in the future, it wasn't going to be a Lady Smith...) I have it now. It had its problems, and was sent back to the factory for several fixes, two of which were never fixed. If you shoot cheap ammo (i.e. UMC), it will sometimes jam on the last round (catches on the magazine follower). I think this problem has been solved from shooting and breaking it in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I have a S&W Sigma. Its the ONLY semi-auto that my mom could pull the slide back (Glocks have a stronger spring)... (bedsides the Lady Smith, but if it was going to be mine in the future, it wasn't going to be a Lady Smith...) I have it now. It had its problems, and was sent back to the factory for several fixes, two of which were never fixed. If you shoot cheap ammo (i.e. UMC), it will sometimes jam on the last round (catches on the magazine follower). I think this problem has been solved from shooting and breaking it in.

Rofl..jams on the last round? When i tried 100 rounds of UMC ammo i bought at the range it jammed after the first round. It stovepiped. SO i cleared it and tried again. It stove piped again. Can u say frustrated? It kept stovepiping, and so finally i gave up. So far, i've found that the gun works better with Hollowpoints rather than ball, and is more friendly with 147g loads rather than 115 or 124. Sooooo irritating, i think the gun is better suited to scare someone rather to shoot them. (Than again, it looks like a toy gun) Anyway, i'm reluctant to sell it not only due to low demand, but becaues it was my first pistol. The memories u know? Always had plenty of rifles, but when i turned 21, bought the gun and took it into a indoor range. Ahhh...
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone..Im really new here just happened along and I am quite humored by your exp. with the Smith... I have yet to shoot a newer smith that I liked. One that actually did what it is supposed to do (imagine that.. buying a gun and actually expecting it to fire... somewhat reliably). :-) I have owned a SIGMA and will never own another new model smith again. I have a S&W Model 57 .357 made in the mid to late 70's that is absolutely the best revolver out there, but S&W has declined in workmanship and I will never own another one. How do they stay in business producing crap like the SIGMA's
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I have 800-1200 to spend.  I want something fun to shoot, cheap to feed, and unique.

I have thought about a FAL, but admit I know nothing about them.  

Suggestions?  Advice?

TheRedGoat

Springfield Armory M1A Squad Scout. Maybe not really unique but you don't see a lot of them around either and in 7.62X51mm NATO they would be a fun pig shooter. The  18 inch barrel, composite stock, forward mounted scope, 20 round mag. and M-14 based design give it a pretty high cool factor. At least an 8 on a 10 scale.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
reliably). :-) I have owned a SIGMA and will never own another new model smith again.

I'm curious what kind of problems you had with the SIGMA ??  
I'm a Glock fan & often wonder how S&W can screw up such a simple design ??

I have a couple of older S&W pinned & recessed revolvers & a 2yr old 686+ that are all great shooters.  
I still like S&W wheelguns.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]
RedGoat,

I'll be bringing my 91 to Hun's place if you want to give her a try.  If you like it, you might want to get a Cetme or a SAR-8.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:32:36 AM EDT
[#19]
My Sigma problems: (least to worst)

1. Slide finish was worn from storage in box, before I received it...

2. Front sight FELL OFF. Talk about CHEAP. If you are going to copy a Glock-- DO IT RIGHT.

3. Just inside the barrel, where the brass sits, there are machine marks (circular), which we believed was holding the brass in the barrel when it expanded, and would jam on almost every round, unless shooting expensive/hot ammo, like Federal Hollow Points. Inspection of the brass showed this as a likely problem. Polishing the inside of the barrel seems to have helped.

4. Last round coming off of magazine. Brass would srape the follower, and jam an its way up the feed ramp. Continued use seems to have solved this problem.

I sent it back to S&W. They replaced the slide. The rings still exist in the barrel, and the magazine followers were not fixed. Oh well-- its just a S&W...
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#20]
For Sale:

S&W Sigma 9mm with box.
1 10 Rd. Factory Magazine
1 17 Rd. Factory pre-ban Magazine

Rarely used, "Like New In Box", Functions perfectly to S&W standards, and has been factory tested and examined by S&W to meet their quality and standards...

hehe
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a S&W Sigma. Its the ONLY semi-auto that my mom could pull the slide back (Glocks have a stronger spring)... (bedsides the Lady Smith, but if it was going to be mine in the future, it wasn't going to be a Lady Smith...)

I think you would have been better off with the Lady Smith.  They are sweet (and by sweet I mean totally cool).  I have one of those on my standing "want list," but they always seem to go for a higher price than a similar Smith.  If the logo bothers you, a few minutes with a bead blaster will fix that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top